Sunday, October 29, 2017

SART 60

I was dreading today's ride with Mike. He's in good form and been riding plenty while I hadn't. Heck, didn't even ride last week, maybe one day the week before that ha ha! Then after yesterday's hard fast effort with Joaquin, I was thinking I would die on today's ride trying to keep up with Mike.

But we managed a 60 miler at a 17.5 MPH average speed. Thanks to Eric and his group! Mike and had rode from Orangewood to Green River and not more than a minute after we get there, we see a group of cyclists roll up and regroup, from the Corona direction. Then Eric walks up and says hi! Funny, he always spots me out of a crowd ha ha! Once we were in a dark parking lot (Euro Cafe), dark, baseball cap on, sweats, and he picked me out from across the lot ha ha! Maybe I have this glowing halo type thing hanging around my head that says "Mr. Beanz" ha ha!

But anyway, he says join the group so why not! Mike and I tagged on the back and held on. They were rolling pretty good so we just sat at the back enjoying it. Stopped to regroup a couple of times, once at Yorba Park for a break. Managed to snap a picture of their group picture ha ha! Then headed out again hanging on to the rolling group.

So then their next regroup is the train station but Mike has to go pee-pee and we have never been in the station so we don't know whether or not they have facilities so we say bye and roll on to Edna Park for our break.

We fill the water bottles and I down a Honey Stinger. Mike says he thinks the group will roll up on us since we stopped and they were doing a pretty good pace. Sure enough, somewhere down the road the train pulls up on us. This time, only a few of the guys, one bad ass girl and a couple of new guys. Heck we weren't really familiar with who is who but we hopped on the back again. Again, they were rolling pretty good and my legs were feeling it as the group somewhat split a couple of times in a short period so closing the gaps was tough.

Thankfully they pulled off right after the southernmost wooden bridge to regroup again as Mike and I continued on. I was feeling it as we were rolling up on about 45 miles at this point and after yesterday's ride so I was pretty happy they pulled over ha ha! From that point, Mike took the front again and towed me to the coast.

Took a break then headed about a mile down PCH making sure we hit our goal of 60 for the day.

I took the pull heading south on PCH, back north then another 5 on SART. GREAT! We had 14 miles left, I pulled for 7 and hoped Mike would be good for the next 7, he was! Mike is in good form right now as well as being fresh not having been on the bike the day before so I am pretty sure he could have dropped me. But we had a teamwork type day set in our mind today. So we rolled back at a bout a steady 18 all the way back hoping to maintain the 17.3 we had at this point.

Funny though, took us about 30 minutes at 18 to raise the average to 17.5 and about 30 seconds on the bridge to drop it back down to 17.4 ha ha! Darn bridges! Somehow we managed to keep pace and bring it up to the 17.5, more than happy with that today seeing this is the first 60 miler I have done in a long long while!

                                       Yes smiling as Spider Man tows me into the wind.




Yes, I smile then have to put the camera back in the case, in my jersey then smiling no more trying to close the gap ha ha!


I have a habit of tossing my jerseys behind my seat after rides seeing that I always wear an under layer. So I forget to wash them most times. So which one shall I wear, the dirty green one, or the dirty green one ha ha!


Eric and his group


Now I belied he is actually saying, "cheese!".



All these people were pretty strong riders.



As shot of the shot ha ha!





OK these guys and gals are rolling! Moving into the wind to take a pic then trying to keep from getting dropped hurt ha ha! I think they were doing about 23+ MPH right here.


Little edit:

Gina wasn't feeling up to a ride this weekend (tummy problem) but she sure was up to dressing up for the costume contest at her work ha ha! She dresses up every year and has won the contest 2 times in recent years. Winner taking home $100. She doesn't dress to win, dresses for the 'spirit' of it (see what I did there? :-P). Anyway if she happens to win the $100, it's just a nice bonus ha ha!







No comments:

Post a Comment