Saturday, October 7, 2017

Team Rodney & Some Bike Issues

43.4 miles with Gina and Aimee today. 16.1 MPH average speed, not bad.  According to my Garmin, a high of 96 degrees, average of 90. I did know that it would be hot today after viewing the forecast last night. Prediction of 92 but I don't tell Gina because if she knows how hot it is, or supposed to be, she'll go all mental about it ha ha! I think she does better when she has no idea.

But she did very well today. I figured a couple more miles than last weeks 40 but tried to hold the pace down a bit compensating for the heat. I think it worked well! Gina did suffer the last couple of miles so we stopped at Edna for a cool down break. Then the return trip home in my truck with the AC on which is very rare. Heck, I use it maybe once every 2 years. Or when Gina is suffering from the heat ha ha!

Did see the Legend Greg out there on his upright! Maybe he's not digging the bent like he wanted? Maybe he was just setting some land speed records today? I dunno, I'll have to get the story next time we run into him!

Ran into Team Rodney at Edna Park. We had spoken before, heck maybe last year but he remembered me too.  We had a brief chat then headed out. Somewhere along the line we ran into Rodney who joined us for a few miles before he stopped at Moon Park to regroup his team. But then we met again at the coast and talked bikes! Always got to talk bikes, it's a bike blog ha ha! So I snapped a few pics then they headed off toward Long Beach, in that direction.

Not bad, they said they would have about 52 miles today. Pretty darn good ride!

I would say today was a sad day for me though. About 7 miles in, my water bottle caged snapped apart. Luckily the base stayed together so my pump was fine. But it sucks carrying a large water bottle in your jersey pocket ha ha! Then of course, I always tell Gina not to switch to her big ring when she has the chain all the way out, and she does. So we have to stop and I have to get my hands all full of grease. Then at the end of the ride, I feel something a little fishy (fishtail) and it is my rear tire, gone flat! Bad flat but good noticed it at the truck after the ride was complete. Phew!

One thing I learned today. Well I may have already known but was reminded today ha ha! Lobster and all the butter sauce does not mix well with cycling. Should have opted for spaghetti but since it is the start of Gina's birthday weekend, I figured we'd get  it started last night! She'll be 55 on Tuesday so we have to celebrate seeing both of us have Monday off.

                                                          Rodney rollin' with my crew!



Team Rodney



Broken water bottle cage.


For the guys in other states who request bikini shots as they get ready for snow ha ha! Guys need to move to Cali! :-P



Funny little story about last night's dinner. The waiters are really good so when you are seated, they start explaining the menu etc. I told the guy, no problem, we had our first date here about 30 years ago so we are familiar. Then I said that we come at least once a year for our anniversary. Cool! If  you  have been there, you will know they sing happy birthday to somebody like every 10 minutes.

Later after we finish our dinner, we hear 3 guys come out singing from the kitchen area. But this time they are singing "happy anniversary". We looked in that direction hoping to see where they were headed and wondering who was having an anniversary. So the guys are walking by then they stop and finish singing the song to us ha ha!

What the heck ha ha ha! It's not our anniversary but we both drop our jaws in confusion. We looked at each other and bust out laughing! Neither one of us said anything because we knew he meant well and it would be embarrassing to say that it wasn't our anniversary.

SO then they finish the song and everybody starts clapping for us and smiling in our direction ha ha! What a surprise for sure! Then the waiter says he heard what I had said earlier and put one and one together reading between the lines. He said, "See, I got ya!".

Yeah, you got us alright ha ha ha ha!

Last night at North Wood's Inn. I saw the guy in the back and thought there might be some live ZZTop entertainment ha ha!


Two salads, green with bleu cheese and marinated cabbage. Mix 'em together, YUM!


I had the lobster with the lumberjack steak. Gina just had the rock lobster.


Cheese bread. Like Sizzler toast but much better!



No comments:

Post a Comment