Sunday, September 29, 2019

Old Man, Old Bike, 60 Miles

60 miles at 16.5 average speed. 2/3 of the ride alone after Jose dropped off at 23 miles into the ride. His exact words this morining: I will ride with you today but I don't think I can do 60 miles because I have a big pimple on my big balls! Ha ha ha! I think this is more of a male audience so I think we can all relate ha ha!

So we did pretty good but it was windy. I set out to do 60 but wasn't sure. We set a goal of 16-17 average depending on the elements. We were doing just that when we picked up some dude heading to the coast. We were taking turns at the front holding the plan but this dude hopped on the back then later went around to the front. Next thing I know we are doing about 20 MPH, which was not the plan but the dude picked it up so we'll see what he has. About 1/2 mile down the road he turns off from the front. Kind of surprised us! :-O I don't usually stop when I have a couple of dudes on my wheel but oh well, we avoided disaster. He stops so Jose and I continue with OUR pace. Next thing I know the dude is back on our wheel. We get to Edna park then he says he's heading back. At least he thanked us for the tow. But me, I don't understand why guys see our pace clearly then pick it up to 20. Not like we can't do 20 for a mile but we're thinking of the overall picture.

So anyway, Jose calls it quits at Edna Park living a few houses away. Said the pimple on his big balls was hurting and he didn't want to cause any more damage. Understandable so we said later!

I headed off alone and once I got South of the Edna wooden bridge, holy crap it was windy! The 60 miles was a doubt at this point figuring I'd be happy to make it to the coast alone ha ha! But I didn't ride GMR Saturday so I wanted a little extra workout and it's been a looooong time since I have done 60, so you know what, I'm not going to puss out, I'm going for it!

I saw Joaquin as he was heading to the coast. I had just reached the coast, turned around and headed back without a break. I doubled back to Talbert then did the windy section a second time. Only because that section is at times intimidating so screw it, confront your fears ha ha! I'm going for it and hopefully I don't kill my average too much.

I did see Ron and Dixie heading North earlier. I thought they might catch us at Edna as our break there was a bit long saying goodbye to Jose and chatting with another couple riders. But they didn't. So I headed off alone to the coast. Got there, turned back. Thought I might ride till I see them, then turn around and ride with them to the coast in the wind again.

But I got so far out, about 5 miles thinking this is what I needed to hit 60. I didn't see them so I headed back to the coast a second time. I ran into Tim on his new BENT. We rode together for maybe 3 miles to the coast chatting away. Sat at the coast telling me BENT stories while I waited for Ron & Dixie to show. Figured I might try to ride back with them. I know they fly back with the tailwind but I would try to keep them in sight knowing not having done a 60 miler in some time, I would more than likely fall behind their pace. BUT, I was actually thinking with the strength of the wind, they may be a little fried too. I know I worked pretty hard to get to the coast pushing hard trying to hold a 16 pace as not to lose my average. If I did a 16 over 60, I would be happy for now.

So hoping they were a little fried, I waited but they never reached the coast. I was a little happy to think it might have been that hard that some of the riders might turn back. Made me feel better about the struggle to hold 16 ha ha!

I know one dude was pulled over on Warner. As I went by, he hopped on his tricked out bike, sweet bike with all the cool wheels and stuff. I kept expecting him to pass me figuring he was all aero and stuff. But he never did so I looked back once I got to the 405 and he was way in the heck back there. I knew he had to be struggling but I was happy knowing that seeing I was riding my 21 year old technology bike and doing OK! :-P

Again, I thank GMR for the workouts. Couple months back I would have been crying alone in the wind. But today, though not setting land speed records, I felt stronger. Then to turn back and do it again, I was really happy that I could. I know some people say riding into the wind is harder than climbing.  Uhhh I don't think so myself. I can hold 15,16 into the wind, but doing GMR, heck no! I used to hold 8 when I was in my best shape. Now I'm luck at 6 for now ha ha! I argue with many about this but usually turns out the guys who say the wind is harder are riding 1 mile hills. Heck, make it 8 and I'll take the wind any day! :-P

Though it's always a hard effort to make it up GMR, it only makes the wind on the trail that much more tolerable. That's my opinion anyway!

It was kind of funny because once I got to the coast the second time, Joaquin was leaving. We waved but he was looking at me like, what the heck! Not sure he figured out I was doing a repeat into the wind. :-P

                                    Ron sent an image of us while heading opposite directions.



My old 21 year old bike


Joe ride




Holy crap! Jose almost actually smiled!


Tim on his bent. I tried to get a pic of his face in the mirror.


Joaquin, second encounter


Tim on his new toy


Boobs! I think you may have figured this one out already! :-P

  




No comments:

Post a Comment