Saturday, September 21, 2019

Short GMR ride with Mike

Well I can not catch a break but managed to get in a short GMR ride today with Mike. Mom has been in the hospital for 3 weeks. In and out of her mind. Very scary. We were taking turns staying with her over night to keep any eye on her while she was in the ICU the entire first 2 1/2 weeks.

Finally out but in a rest home for 5 days to do physical therapy since she has been in a bed 3 straight weeks. Hopefully it is over but it did happen 4 years ago as well. Again, they found the source, let her sit in Pomona Valley till she was stable then transfered to UC Irvine in Orange. Test after test, camera after camera but they said they themselves could not find the source. Holy crap what a mess!

So now she seems fine and recovering in Claremont thank goodness. Funny but part of the therapy was they put her on a bike and asked her to do 15 minutes. She ended up doing 27 ha ha! Hey, I've talked about strapping her on the back of the tandem but she's scared of bikes. Never been very good on one as far as balance. But anyway, that was a good thing!

So today Mike and I had planned to go to Peacock Saddle again but we wasted 30 minutes waiting on someone who didn't show up. So thankfully it was not hot when we hit the rode at 7:15. The past weeks it was blazing hot by then.

Today was nice! We did the shack, down, then from Newman's Point, back up to the point where you descend before the shack. Needed another mile or two, why not!

But we were both in somewhat of a hurry today so when we got to the shack, I totally forgot to monitor my time gate to shack. Some reason it took for ever, it felt, so we were thinking we were behind schedule.

Turns out I was only 2 minutes behind the last time I climbed GMR. Pretty happy with that seeing I have not touched my bike in 3 weeks. I'll take it! So we ended up with 18 miles and 2,320 feet of gain. Not bad, good workout and I'm not crying about it figuring if I can stay on the bike, it's a good start, again!

The road from a satellite image. Imagine 20 miles of this to Baldy Village. For the non locals, this is the road we ride for fun. :-P


Mike coming up. We actually stopped on the descent to pose for a few pics ha ha!





Just about done! So nice today, not hot, no sweat at the end of the ride.




Gina chillin' at home. No ride today and has a kidney walk tomorrow. Fund raiser, if you know, she donated a kidney back in 2000.

Look at the top right section of my blog. You can see the 10 inch scar she has on her side. :-O



No comments:

Post a Comment