Saturday, February 24, 2024

San Gabriel River Trail

 Solo 37. Recovering from a little cold. Didn't feel too bad but the heartrate showed something was up. Did meet a new friend Omar. Cool nice guy. Then Mike that I met like back in 1998 at the Bud's ride. I tired but those guys were fast. Mike did ride with them though so kudos to him.

Scrubbed and lubed the drivetrain on my bike and cut my hair again so I was cutting through the wind today ha ha ha! 

Felt ok on the way up and actually pushed pretty good on the way back. Thanks to a couple of clowns baiting me into some fun. I caught 2 guys, both riding solo. But once I passed them holding my pace, they insisted on passing me back. I guess it was the Fat Bastard jersey that enticed them ha ha ha!

I ended up catching them a couple of times but each time, one guy would stay next to me, maybe drafting from the side. But he'd sprint off and eventually, we just about caught the second guy that I had also passed earlier. But they started drafting one another and pulled away on the dam. I was just beginning to descend as they were already at the bottom. I was coming up as the stronger guy stopped at the red light. The second guy cut across the road, blowing the red light, stupid just to get ahead. He did for a bit but the stronger guy dropped him soon after. They were about an 1/8 of a mile ahead when I saw the weaker one fade. I did catch him as seen in the video. But as I passed, he picked up the pace, OK!

I backed off a bit knowing he would fade again then stopped my recorder. Sadly, I did as 30 seconds later, he pulled off the road. Guess he couldn't take the heat any longer. So I went around as he popped like a cheap balloon dropping him like a bad habit.

You figure, at the top, many guys feel strong with the slight downhill. But once the trail levels out, and the wind hits, different story for sure. So I kept pushing then soon realized, I was catching the stronger guy. Head down into the wind, he looked like he was fading. So I picked it up and sure enough, passed him. Once I did, I figured he'd try to keep up or pass me again like earlier. So I just kept on and soon, he was far behind. Yeah buddy!

I did see the stronger guy up at the top so I know he did at least what I did. The other guy, I saw him turn around at the nature center so I know he didn't even do the ascent to the base of the mountains.

But turned out to be a good ride and actually felt good seeing I had a cold during the week. Looking for an easy ride but the second underpass was a lake, totally flooded and with a newly scrubbed and lubed drivetrain, forget that ha ha ha!

But my heartrate sure was high today. Feeling it I guess but after the ride, almost felt like I was sounding and looking better. Especially with my newly homemade haircut again ha ha ha! Seriously, walking the mall, I see haircut prices for men priced at $45, wow!


New friend Omar, young guy hitting the trails and doing well. Then ran into Mike who I met back in 1998'ish as he was doing the Bud's Ride. Pretty cool, when Mike reached the top of the trail, he rode up and said, "nice job back there!". Did feel like I was rolling pretty good so nice that someone noticed ha ha ha!







No comments:

Post a Comment