Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Old Man Tour

 Solo 40 miles. Set out for an easy ride today but had a hard time getting started.  Took it as easy as possible even thought about cutting it short but, NAAAAAH! 😄 Warm but a little rain at the top. 😳 Just another ride exercising fighting off the old age. 🤣 Didn't care for the PB $ Strawberry Honey Stinger. Tastes like an old stale skinny P&J  sandwich. 

Average 91 degrees today.  Ran into a few friends actually. Rare on a weekday ride.  I did chat with David, cool dude that rode with me once before. Always a good chat about how so many cyclists lack a real sense of etiquette and safety as far as cycling. Cool dude knows what he is talking about and observes the same lacking skills behavior I see in so many cyclists. Glad to hear this stuff as it reinforces my thoughts about things cyclists shouldn't do in order to keep themselves and others safe on rides.

Ran into Armando. I ran into him a couple weeks back heading to Seal Beach. I think maybe it was at the beach where we chatted. Heck, old age must be getting me as I don't exactly remember now ha ha ha! All I remember was that he was flying down the trail when I saw him. He was rolling pretty fast but somehow I managed to run into him on the way back though he left well before me. Today he was on the side of the road about a mile before the end of my ride. He recognized me then we chatted for a bit on the side of the road. He rides from the SF dam to Seal Beach and back which is about 60 miles. Pretty good ride in the heat. But when I saw him, he was on the side of the road after having to get off the trail picking up something to drink from a convenience store. 

Saw Jason, completing his ride up GMR. He mentioned the rain and yup, I got a few drops but guessing he got more being higher in the mountains. I mentioned that he looked far more vascular than I remember him from several years ago. He said he had made some changes in his diet causing him to lose 15 pounds. Wow, didn't realize he had 15 to lose. But a great climber. I remember him being like number 5 on GMR to the shack on Strava years ago. Of course that bunch of dumb pros came to down racing up GMR swiping all our KOMs. Oh wait, no way did I ever have a KOM on GNR but it would have been nice ha ha ha!





Ah the stale skinny P&J sandwich Honey Stinger ha ha ha! I will say it was not as bad late into my ride, I musta gotten hungry. But they feel much smaller than the Stroopwafels I get from Wally World. Lots cheaper, bigger, and more filling, I would recommend the Stroopwafels  way before the more expensive Honey Stingers. Salted caramel in the HS is much better as well, imo.



Oatmeal an nectarines for breakfast 


Tried Tilapia for dinner last night.  Been trying to eat healthy stuff, chicken and fish. Guess it's better than red meat 🍖 but I ain't giving it up, just mixing in some stuff that is supposed to be healthier choices. 


Used this tire now for a couple of rides testing it out. Seems to be fine, can't tell a difference between it and the Conti 5000 I had on the front. But again, that is the front so wondering about what it would feel like on the back of the bike seeing most of a cyclist's weight is on the rear tire. I did use Vittoria years ago back in about 98. Not sure why I didn't use it more. Maybe the model I used was hard to find? But this model is so far less than a Conti and close to the same scores in reviews. Maybe a little less favor but the price is huge now. So I have another one on the way, should be here in a few days. I have the new Contis already so decisions decisions! Do I installl both Vittorias, or both Contis, or wear out the Conti on the rear then install the Vitorria knowing the current one on the front will outlive the older Conti I have on the rear? Wow, the things us cyclists have to live with trying to decide ha ha ha!



Dinner tonight, after a hot ride. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. I don't know why Gina always says that. 😄 But both a senior Italian Herb chicken dinner tonight. Gina got the salad bar and I got a soup. Though my little buddies always toss in an extra plate or bowl so that I get a salad as well. I just eat a smaller salad figuring it might be good for me to top of my dinner.






No comments:

Post a Comment