Saturday, May 15, 2021

Well Darn, forgot Thurs Nite & Sat is a new Ride

So Thursday totally sucked ha ha! Everything went wrong. I headed out to the start but forgot my video bag so I turned back after a mile. Got it, then at the start, realized I forgot to toss my bag with my tools and tubes in the equipment bag. Well dammit! So I headed out with fingers crossed hoping I don't flat or I'll have to call Gina ha ha!

So after about 4 miles, I am not sure how I shifted but I had to do a quick stop and somehow turned my pedals backward catching the chain between the frame and small ring. Had a hard time getting it out but finally had to use some brute force. Got but after 20 seconds on the bike, click. The bike kept clicking about every 20 seconds. Somehow twisted a link and now it will not set properly on the rear cogs. 

SHIT! Should I turn back after 4 miles, or go for it? I went for it thinking the chain may straighten out some rolling on the gears. It did so now it was clicking every 2 minutes. Actually got to a point where it was happening every 10 minutes, sometime 2. But I made it and no call of shame!

It was cool though as I found this GPR unit on ebay for $50. 25 hour battery life with every charge. My Garmin is only like 10, if that now being 10 years old. I bought this XOSS GPS after seeing it somewhere on the net. Wow, pretty cool little deal. The unit, rubber case, plastic out front mount ( I got a new alum mount on ebay for less than $20). Cool stuff. The new GPS is pretty much basic info which is pretty much all I use. Has the ability for cadence and HR sensors but that ain't my thing. So I'm really liking it. For night riding, it has a setting that the light goes on automatically and stays one once it senses that it is dark outside. I really liked it on my night ride.

So that was Thursday. Joaquina had wanted me to ride last week but I got lazy. So this week , I asked if he was going to ride. Yup! So we did a really good ride today, Saturday. 

46 miles at 18.3 average speed. We worked really well together and only the 2 of us. I did a 5 mile turn at the front to start so that I could warm up at my pace. Then he took about the same to make it equal. Then I suggested that we do 1 mile turns at the front so that neither one of us gets too tired. Worked really well!

I would say about 3 miles from the beach, he was looking strong and lifted the pace so I let him stay up there till he felt he wanted to switch. So I did take advantage of that and on the return. Doing well both of us but one point, he just started pushing hard so again, I let him stay up there. I was tired so I was pushing just trying to stay on his wheel at that point. So hey, I am always willing to let someone take more than their turn if they feel like the want to go ha ha! But it worked well for the both of us and he was happy that he had someone to work with. Me too, made for a good ride!


                               After the ride Thursday night, nothing went well but I made it!


Saturday ride with Joaquin, good ride!



No comments:

Post a Comment