Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Night Ride 20 Miles (Safe Drivers)

 Hello Darkness My Old Friend Tour. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„ Glendora to La Verne and back. First time using a heart rate monitor.  Buddy Tony gave me his old one after buying a new one.  My max HR should be 160 being 60 years old. . Once I hit the little 8% climb, it went up to 162 so I pushed harder at the top hitting 170. 10 points above my max. I'll have to look it up to see what that means.  πŸ˜„ Nice ride, cool and dark. Love these reflector ankle bands. 


https://www.relive.cc/view/vdvmXPrVmNq









 
Again I must mention those safe helpful drivers. I don't have the issues I read about so often.  I will say I try to position myself in the best places possible to keep myself safe. 

Last night  just about dark heading east on Foothill getting ready to make a left to San Dimas canyon park area.  I look back after avfew cars pass and my turn coming up quickly.  Well darn, an SUV close an a bunch of cars behind him a ways back, I'm not going to make it but rather be patient than taking a chance of getting hit. 

So I have my arm up to turn left. SUV must see my sit-cheeation so he slows pretty hard allowing me to cross the wide lanes in order to make my turn, AWESOME!!  Of course we all get stopped atvthe intersection,  I'm in the left turn lane and THE SUV  heading straight.  As my left turn arrow turns green,  I shove off but raise my arm back to shoot the guy a thumbs up πŸ‘. 

THEN!!! Towards the end of my ride heading west, I'm in a nice bike lane rolling about 22 mph approaching an intersection.  It's dark and I'm well lit but a car passes me on my left well ahead of time to make a right before I reach the intersection,  safe pass. 

I'm still rolling though backed off a hair seeing a car in the opposite direction getting ready to make a left. The other car up still up ahead making the right, I hope the guy getting ready to cross paths with me session me and my lights avoiding a collision.  Pretty sure he does as I have a helmet light and I can swing my head in his direction to alert him something is going on, I'm there!

But this was a totally awesome move by the guy that had passed me on my right ahead of time. Again,  a big intersection with plenty of space.  Byt the driver making the right turn ahead of me starts his turn but stalls in the midst of his turn so the car coming opposite getting ready to turn does not have a clear passage so he's pretty much forced to stop, look around figuring out, if he hadn't already, that something was going on. 

Wow! I am totally amazed at how much a driver can help us out on the road,  even protect us with a small maneuver and taking a few seconds of concern to keep us safe!

Ok, now this other asshat on Facebook.  He's talking about how he coal rolls cyclists because once he was on a twisty winding road towing his 30 ft trailer but had to stomp his brakes almost killing his family because he approched a group of cyclists from behind.  Real cyclist hater. Really, your family almost died because he was driving too fast driving a truck and 30 ft trailer with his family aboard?

I  did mistake his post thinking he was going down hill but eithercway, he had to be driving faster than what is safe. 

He didn't like my comment so he sent this pm threatening physical violence and posted it in he comments.  Probably got put in Facebook jail for it because I was unable to reply.

But I welcome him to visit California making that special trip to beat my ass. Hardly doubt I'd be intimidated by a short little fat truck driver. πŸ˜†πŸ˜„πŸ˜†




No comments:

Post a Comment