Tuesday, July 13, 2021

24 Solo Like a Cholo

 24 solo miles at an easy pace today. I guess I am using the midweek rides for relaxing and stretching the legs. Seems I use more energy on my Saturday rides. Must be getting old because I am learning to appreciate the more relaxed, stretch out the legs, warm up the muscles, rides. It's fun to press the pace some but it gets tiresome trying to do it all the time. So the midweek rides are really nice and enjoyable now. Work hard on the weekends, recover on the weekdays. Works well and then I feel great on the weekend rides.

So today, I followed the Overstuffed Sausage ride that goes from Claremont to Glendora Rd and back. Again, the Overstuffed sausage ride because the guy I got the course from dresses like one ha ha ha! It was brought to my attention by another rider and after taking a good look, it's true! I didn't know what else to name the ride so, there ya go!

But the road is really beat up on Badillo heading west. Wow, talk about losing fillings on a ride with the chatter, this road almost scares me now. On the group rides I was doing, a couple of riders fell and ended up in the hospital so I have been doing variations of the ride. Heading up to Sierra Madre rather than going down to Badillo. Road is much smoother and safer if you ask me. So my ride varies but today I did the OSS ride and I remember why I have been taking alternates.

I did use only the XOSS GPS unit today. I'm really liking this thing, $40!!!!! Wow! It works more like a Cateye computer though. You have to toggle through the screens to see average, max speed. That kind of thing but getting used to it, no biggie. Vs the 7 function various screen set ups of the Garmin. But 1/6 of the price, I'll take it! I bought it as a back up and have been using both on rides to see the differences. Not much at all. I did get the little speed sensor just the other day. The GPS about 2 months ago.

The speed sensor can be used as a speed or cadence. Pretty easy to set up with the XOSS unit. Seems it may be a little more accurate with the final distance readout. The current speed, seems a bit more stable but not much. There is a one tenth difference in the Garmin without the sensor and XOSS with the sensor. Not much with current speed. It was suggested that I try one by some guy. He may have been right this one time.

Cool thing about this $20 sensor, it can be used as a speed or cadence sensor depending on set up, easy. Not to mention, it works with the Garmin and other GPS units as well. AND, it can be used simultaneously with more than one unit. I have used it on both units on a couple of rides. But just disconnected the Garmin to see the difference.

The XOSS unit, I'm digging it. 25 hour charge life, USB. A light that comes on automatically at night. Ability to shut it off completely, auto, or always on. I use auto to save some charge. I have heard complaints by people who have heard complaints from a friend of a friend blah blah blah who say that the night kills the battery. Really?! You're riding 25 hours at night? Not to mention, they had no idea that it could be set differently. Typical forum poster bull shit. Read the fucking instructions you dumb shits ha ha ha! I see this stuff and think of all the idiots on the forums. Special gloves, wheels, fancy overdressed bikes. Watching the tour, I see dudes without gloves, average looking bikes, good ones, but normal looking compared to some of the dopes on the forums. I guess that is why I get sick of their nonsense and end up speaking up against the idiotic snobs who think your bike will go faster if the color of your gloves match ha ha ha! MOF, I just read a comment from one idiot who is always talking about topping other riders' averages while riding a low recumbent. Duh! Then yesterday I read in another forum, he did a long ride, maybe 90 if I recall, where he passed out after the ride from his blood sugar level falling. WTF. But yet he is the big shit on another forum ha ha ha! The kind of the idiots, Livedlarklion or something like that on the forums. Cycling genius, riding 5 years boasting about doing a century. OK whatever! He was boasting about topping my mileage in a thread. I did 100 miles one week, he did 150. OK! talked about a century he just did the week before. Then the next, he is in another thread talking about needing an E-BIKE after having problems on a pedal yourself bike ha ha ha! Too many idiots there to be quiet ha ha ha! Got to show them how stupid they are ha ha ha!


But anyway, had a nice ride last night. Relaxing, and I pedaled my own freaking bike, you stupids! Ha HA HA HA! As Sigfried would say! Get Smart reference.


The speed sensor on my hub. I may get a second for my other bike and unit. Maybe even the Garmin sensor to compare. We'll see!


Dark out and the light goes on automatically. My Garmin doesn't do that.



Lower light seat post. Upper is my helmet on top of an electrical box.



No comments:

Post a Comment