Saturday, July 10, 2021

45 Miles with Joaquin (video Monday)

 45+ miles with Joaquin at 17.5 average speed. 91 degrees so pretty warm. Strava says 91 degrees. Started out a little easy seeing Joaquin hadn't done a long ride in a couple of weeks. He says he was worried about his legs so we started easy. But once the wind hit, we started rotating into the wind, 1 mile turns at the front.

Joaquin looked really strong though. At one point, we passed a couple of tri athletes on aero bars. They had a head start on us leaving Edna park heading toward the coast. Took some time but we caught them and passed them. On my last turn, about a mile from the coast, right before I moved off, one of the guys zoomed around us. I guess he didn't like getting passed ha ha! It was windy and I was gassed at that point. So I told Joaquin, having to be a little fresher than me with the one mile rest, chase that dude ha ha ha!

The guy was already about 40 yards out but Joaquin easily caught him doing 22 MPH. Joaquin ended up going around the guy so sure enough, the guy takes his wheel. I was gassed but enjoyed the show. But I noticed the other guy trying to catch me. It took a couple of minutes to catch my breath, but once I did, I went down into the drops and gave it my all. No catch ha ha ha!

But at the coast, it took me a bit to catch my breath and Joaquin was looking good. So a Clif bar and some Gatorade. Trying to recover for the last 14 return stretch. Joaquin always complains about the last 2 miles back to the train station. So I figured that if I could recover and ride strong, we would end up with a good ride and maybe he would be a little gassed at that point evening things out a bit.

So we took turns, one mile up front again swapping. Once we headed back, I recovered and felt great. So we did the last stretch at 20 MPH bridge to bridge. Then down a hair after that. I think I saw 19.8. Joaquin got the second to last one mile section then of course, I get the last. But that was good. Joaquin mentioned the last 2 mile section again, saying he gets tired there. I had the last turn so I kept the pressure on and held the pace pretty good. So hey, it all works out! Nice to have a partner working with you!

             Some still images from the video clips and some pics Joaquin snuck in on me! :-P   


                                                           Thumb up after the ride!









No comments:

Post a Comment