Saturday, September 11, 2021

Solo SART 50 Miler

50 miles solo at 16.5 average speed. I was planning to ride around home in the foothills again but with the forecast saying 100 again, I decided to go to the trail. Dragged my lazy butt out of bed kind of late so a late start, like 11 am again. Boy, I really need to get out of bed a bit earlier to beat the wind on the trail. I ride from ARTIC to Weir Cyn then double back to the coast. As soon as I turn around at Weir, the wind is ON! Boo hoo!

But I made my way down to the coast though my mind was telling me to cut it short. I can't wimp out no matter what my mind says ha ha ha! I always think that if one wimps out the first time, without good reason, then the second time is too easy. I remember doing Borrego to the Sea. From Borrego Springs to Salton Sea and back. I was feeling great, riding well, and in great shape. I did the first half of the metric century to Salton Sea. At the rest stop, I ate a piece of their famous pumpkin bread, apple bread, I forget what it was but it was like a trigger to a migraine. Blinding, nauseating, and worrisome. 

Gina was there driving support in my truck, for funzies and to enjoy the trip. I told her what was going on and she said I should just get in the truck and head home, a long drive. 

You know what, F it! I'm finishing the ride. I knew my blindness would go away soon and the pain would be the only obstacle after that. Oh, and the nausea. So I hopped back on my bike, put my head down, then my blind ass followed the shoulder line heading back to town. Only 30 miles to go. I was doing well before the migraine, passing riders left and right. But now, I was on survival mode. Guys I passed earlier went by me with a greet as we were all having a great time. I did my best to smile, feeling like shit ha ha ha!

But 15 miles later, my vision was restored from distortion and squiggly lines. I found myself holding a good pace again. I knew the pain was coming but I had read that one should concentrate on a different part of the body to redirect the blood flow which eases the pain. I don't know if it works but I was willing to try anything. So I was concentrating on blowing out my knees. I was willing to kill those suckers if it meant avoiding some migraine pain. Perfect situation, on the bike, ready to kill the thighs. 

I remember the pain in the brain was not as bad but my thighs were freaking killing me so I guess it's working ha ha ha! But my pace lifted and I started passing those same riders back. Yeah baby! Restoring a little pride in the ride!

So I got back to town, Borrego Springs, pretty area by the way, to the post ride BBQ. Forget this man! I was nauseated and as always, ready to puke my guts out to a dry heave. I think I took a Sprite or 7 Up then we headed home. I held a bag ready to puke while Gina drove. I finished the soda then asked Gina to stop at a little store for another right as we were getting back onto the 10 fwy, from Salton Sea direction.  I finished up that one too, rather quickly expecting to puke my guts out, but never happened. Actually felt half way decent when we got home.

So I had that sissy wanna quit baby bitch feeling on Saturday ha ha ha! That was after 20 miles. WTH, I planned 45 but  thought briefly about 50. WTH am I thinking? Lucky to break 20 miles without wimping out ha ha ha! So I thought about that day in Borrego Springs and thought if I could make it that day, I should be able to make it this day. 

So I hit the coast and heading toward the pier on PCH. YES! I can do the 50 but the freaking road was closed about 1 mile before the pier (not sure of the distance). But I knew I was going to be missing some distance so I had to watch my comp along the way to make sure I got the 50. Probably lost a mile or two somewhere.

So if I a mile or two short of my monthly 400 mile goal, you know why ha ha ha!

I did see Jim and a few riders I knew and had met before. A couple from the bike group I rode with last year. Seemed to be the cooler people of the gang, the more humble as I had no problems with any of these nice people. Always friendly these ones! :-)

I did see Dan and Jeff, my new Strava buddy heading the opposite way. But none of the other usual friends we cross. Hmmm! Maybe because I was so late.

The pier, a waste of my time today. The road was closed for some big party looking thing. So there was very little pedestrian traffic at the pier. I took my mask and figured I could get some bikini shots. A few pics and a mask, not a Covid threat as long as  shoot from at least 6 feet away ha ha ha! BUT, there was not much at all there. I sat there for about 5 minutes figuring out what to do, checked out a few boobs that took some effort to see, then just left. Disappointing booby day the one time I get the feeling to ride down to the pier. 

                                                                   Yay, got my fitty!


PCH


Fun sweaty legs!


The trail in Yorba


Post ride posing!


Big guns were out today. This lady had some sexy boobs but the pics I got of the right angle came out blurry dang it! My hands must have been shaking ha ha ha!


Mo' Big Guns


I don't know why they allow the homeless to use the facilities as they keep wrecking every freaking thine in there. The paper holders are all broken, idiots!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment