Sunday, September 26, 2021

Sunday SART with Gina

 40 miles at 16.7 average speed. Good ride, pics for now. El Tio. The dude who has the cycling team named after him. Met him today on the trail. 


40 miles at 16.7 average speed. Gina looked strong and said she felt good. I was thinking 30 after a good effort yesterday but once we were about 10 miles in, she suggested 40. Darn Gina, my legs were tired but why not! Jose rode with us too. About 10 miles before the coast (end of trail) we ran into a couple of guys at a park. We chatted for a bit as I know a couple of guys from their club. Then they took off and we did about 1 minute later. We had a plan to hold a certain speed into the wind. The locals will tell you that this section gets windy. So these guys are about 40 yards ahead, I'm thinking nothing of it. Heck, I expected them to take off. But a mile later we pass them. They hop on the back for a while then a mile later, the guy in green goes around. He lifts the pace but we have a plan so I continue. He pulls away and soon looking back. I'm wondering why the guy in red hasn't gone yet. Then about 5 minutes later, he sprints around like a bat out of hell to catch the other guy. A race plan, against us and Gina? OK ha ha ha!

So watching the guys and they seem to be in the same exact spot since they launched. Maybe 75 yards ahead but not pulling away any longer. Then later, I notice they are coming back and still holding our pace. I had been at the front for 20 miles at this point. Other than a couple of short breaks as Gina took the front for a bit. But Jose has just been sitting on the back as I set the pace for Gina. So at this point, I said F it as they keep looking back while fading. So I told Jose to take the front but kept the pace. Then 2 miles before we hit the coast, we catch up.

We just go around holding out pace still. Then about 1 mile before the coast, They sprint around. Jose jumps on the rather quickly but I let them pull away a bit not wanting to gap Gina. Not even sure if she is going to hop on or just stay back. So I see she is on my wheel and so I start to close the gap on the guys. I do so gently not wanting to leave Gina behind. So we catch up then go around as they can't hold the pace much longer. Just a little fun time with a couple guys who decided that they didn't like being passed by a girl I guess. Could have been that or could have been that we have mutual friends and they didn't want them to know we passed them, I dunno!

But it was a fun little game and Gina always surprises me when she decides to go for it. Again, pretty windy by the coast but a 1/4 mile segment on Strava, she posted a 21.1 average speed when we went around. At the beach stop, she told me that she was feeling good and if that I had chased those guys right off the bat, she could have kept up the sprint.  Then she said that she could have gone even faster if I needed her to ha ha ha! 

We'd been doing 30 mile rides only over the last 6 months of so. She rides Sundays only so not much saddle time. Past few times when we get out there, she says let's do 40 so I think her fitness is coming back.


My legs were burning today after yesterday's ride so I let Gina take the front for a bit ha ha ha!




After a second time at the front, still looking good!


At the beach rest stop. Telling me she could have kicked it up more on the final stretch. Average 21.1 on the final 1/4 mile to the coast.


After the ride, Gina feeling good!


El Tio




Joaquin bought these gloves, I want to say 3 or more years ago. He tried them but then said they were too pink. So he gave them to Gina. She liked them but said she was afraid to ruin them so she hadn't wore them till now that her other gloves wore out ha ha ha!


Getting ready to roll but not till I get a little visit to the boys room so I can tinkle ha ha ha!



No comments:

Post a Comment