Saturday, October 2, 2021

Solo Saturday with Flat Tire Freddy

 30 miles with 1,978 ft of gain. Been looking for gain lately. Inspired with Sandra I guess. Some morons I know on Strava that I'd like to better by the end of the year. Mileage is clos but looking at the elevation gain, blown them out of the water over the last month or more but 20,000 plus ft gain. I am now about 30,000 ft better than them. I knew they were scared to climb and do the same ride over and over and over. 600 ft is not much for a 24 mile ride and like Sandra says, gets boring. So doing a bit more climbing lately, I feel great so I'm going to run it up some now that it is a bit cooler. Well, supposed to be!

Today's high was 102 and an average of 95. And had that wonderful flat about half way through by Glendora HS. Right before the climb on Foothill back to Amelia. Luckily going uphill so I can feel that something is wrong vs a fast downhill. So I replaced the tube, this was the perfect thorn ha ha ha!

Used CO2 for once but it doesn't go all the way up where I like it so pulled out my little compact pump and cranked it till it got hot. I've tested it before and when it gets to this point, it was about 95-100. Good enough but then for 5 miles, my mind keeps telling me it's going flat, hate that feeling. But it didn't so I was good for the remainder.

Pretty hot but I haven't been feeling the heat too much. At the end of my ride, had about 27.5 so I kept going up Mills to Miramar again for a little more gain, extra credit at the end. But once I got to Grand to head down, I looked up and the next stop was just a 1/4 miler or so up so I hit it too. Soo that left for a nice descent down Mills to the parking lot.

When I arrived at the start of my ride, I realized I forgot my jersey. I keep that old dirty messed up one behind the truck seat. You know, for like 10 years ha ha ha! I think I did wash it about 6 months ago. But it did the job!

All in all, a bad day but a good ride!


                                         Of course when you hit the 8%, it's going to get warm


Like I said, beginning of ride and it's already 94


Sycamore Cyn above San Dimas Park. Man it is steep in some sections. Average of 8.5 but pitches of 16 and 18% that I saw on Strava


I think it continues to the mountains but gate closed. Good thing or I might be tempted to ride it someday.


Those pitches of 16 and 18% can really twist one's face ha ha ha!


The profile. You can tell which spike is Sycamore Cyn. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment