Sunday, October 4, 2020

Nice Easy Pace Lousy Miserable Heat Ride

Ha ha ha! 26 miles at 16.1 average speed with Gina. Started out nice, warm but good. Nice spin to the coast but then once we hit the coast, Gina said she felt the heat.  I sat in the sun and didn't feel hot but Gina ran to sit in the shade right away. Nice day though!

On the way back, I guess it did start getting a bit hot. Maybe the 105 temps have been acclimating me to the heat as today, 95 didn't feel all that bad ha ha! But poor Gina, she's never been good in the heat. She gets better the more she rides but not riding much lately, the heat really got her today. About 5 miles from the end, she said she had to slow down. Slow down? I didn't think we were going fast ha ha! But at one point, I did see 14 or so on my Garmin. Uh, oh, she must be hot so we slowed a bit then she continued after she recouped a bit.

Got to the train station and she said she was going inside. She lead the way so I guess I had no choice ha ha! But it is a pretty cool spot to rest and cool off. The water inside, the bottle filler is really nice and cold!

While we were there, she told me to take her pic. She said, "this is what I feel like, take my pic!" then lay on the floor to take a shot ha ha! We stayed in there for a while till she cooled off then headed out to the truck to pack up.

As I was packing up the bikes and stuff, Gina was taking off her shoes and mentioned the heat. I agreed and told her that she should rest in the shade. She's like, "oh yeah, when it's hot, I usually sit in the shade while you pack up" then ran off to sit under one of the small trees there. Lucky Gina! When it's hot and I can see she suffered, she sits under a tree and I gather her shoes and stuff, take her her shoes so she can change them while I pack up the gear. Heck, why should both of us sweat ha ha!?

Anyway, a good day on the bike. Wish it were a bit cooler for Gina but I'm feeling good. Doing a little more mileage and easy relaxing rides during the week helps. I've asked Gina a hundred times if she wants to join me on my midweek easy rides but she thinks she's in good enough shape to do without. So of course, when she was suffering today, I had to throw in the, "you see? You should join me during the week to improve your fitness a little so you don't suffer on the weekends" ha ha! I can't just let her get away with it, right ?! :-P

                                     Nice at the beach but Gina said she already felt the heat!


I sit on the bench in the sun but Gina gets up to stand in the shade or sit on the shaded bench if it's available.


Uh oh! After 5 miles away and Gina is started to get cooked.


After the ride, cooling off in the train station


Take my pic, this is how I feel ha ha!


All packed up and ready to head home. It's hot but :-O


People are too funny. Yesterday, I saw a group of 3 guys leave Yorba Park before I did, maybe 5 minutes. I ended up catching up to them just before Lincoln. One guy was at the front and doing a good steady pace. Man I wish they were on strava, would be funny to view their fly bys. So the one guy is doing well. The 3rd guy goes around and sprints like a MOFO and drops the other 2 by 40,50 yards. I'm just watching laughing because that is what happens to me too often. So this guy sprints off and the other 2 give chase. They open a gap on me but I'm just keeping my pace and not involved. Then before Honda Center, heading South, the other 2 finally catch him and I roll right up behind them as they have all faded. 

We go over the pass, the horseshoe turn, then continue on South. Around the Big A, I pass them. I was doing a decent pace so I rolled by them and they seemed to drop back. But later, I look back approaching the 22 fwy and see one guy away from his group and I think he's trying to catch me ha ha! Heck, I just hammered it and left him behind, think I broke his spirits.

But I had to laugh. I think if the 3 had actually worked together, I never would have caught them and if I had, they would have been able to catch me. Just too funny watching people RIDE TOGETHER, dropping the guy who helps you. Reminds me of the group of people I was riding with for a while. Like the friendship thing but out of 25 riders, you might get 2 that will help you and the other idiots are racing you and doing whatever they have to do to BEAT you instead of riding together where all benefit.


Then today, saw an older guy at the beach. He was dressed kind of on the flamboyant side with a loud pink jersey and purple shorts. He left before us, 3 minutes or so. I thought he'd be fast. But the first underpass heading North, I saw him get passed by another rider. I could see his jersey well enough 50 yards ahead. He took the guys wheel and stuck on to the wooden bridge. Not sure what happened, but the guy in front just flat out stopped on the bridge and let the guy go ahead.

So then he was alone. I saw him blast off for a while and get maybe one long stretch ahead of us. Then I saw him again, we were catching. I wasn't trying seeing Gina was getting heated. But we roll closer and the guy is about 20 yards ahead of us.

Another guy rolls around us and is doing pretty well. He passes the guy in the pink jersey and the pink jersey hops his wheel. He sticks like glue and for the rest of the next 7 miles (?) I see the guy just sucking wheel. Wow ha ha ha! Don't people ever ride just to ride on their own? I mean I can see working hard with a group, but being alone and hopping every Tom, Dick, and Harry that rolled by, that would make me feel like a fool. If I want to go fast, I try to do it on my own. Oh well, too many fools out there I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment