Saturday, October 10, 2020

Ride with Joaquin, 43 Miler

(Video to come on Monday) 43 miles at 17.8 average speed today. I say 43 because Joaquin's usual is 20 miles. I was wondering why he text me last night and asked if he could tag along with me today. I was expecting another 43, maybe 46 solo depending  how I felt when I got out there. But after the text, I wondered what was going on. Joaquin never asks for more mileage ha ha! So I got it out of him today, he is turning 60 in November and wants to do a birthday ride of 60 miles. I see ha ha!

We rode well together. Nice because I got to pull the first 5 miles or so warming up at my pace. I'm so used to Joaquin lifting the pace so I was almost expecting it though he said he just wanted a steady speed. I was surprised as we did do just that. At times we could have lifted the pace but we stuck to the plan. Like the time after leaving Yorba Park. Little group of guys caught us from behind around Kraemer. Not going much faster than we were, catching us slowly. Then they sucked wheel for a mile or so then sprinted around, as usual. We could have easily latched on but we had a plan. I was happy that Joaquin knew what the plan was and stuck to it. But later, we rolled up on them and they hopped on again. That really irritates me because I think if you suck someone's wheel, you should offer them the chance to hop on your wheel in return. But a BIG sprint around, OK whatever! 

So once we caught up, not lifting the pace, I looked over at the lead guy who did the first big sprint and said," WOW, you should sprint around again like you did earlier, that was pretty impressive!". He just looked over at me and kind of got a stupid look on his face as if to say, "yeah I suck!" ha ha ha! But yet, the morons stuck on our wheels. I'd drop off myself. But 3 out of 4 stuck on as the 4th guy couldn't keep up. I don't get these guys!

Had a few guys do that today. Not sure why they hop on and expect a free ride not wanting to work in return. I saw a chance to drop a couple of the uninvited leaching wheelsuckers on the short little inclines. I knew they would not help so I don't need them today ha ha! Bastards!

So Joaquin and I continued on and worked well together. On the return, Joaquin took the front after the wooden bridge and stayed there. I was actually pretty happy about that ha ha! I felt good and was ready to go up front at any time but I think he wanted to pull so I didn't argue. But my freaking right leg started cramping around Warner. I managed to back off a bit and it started to go away. So then I started feeling better but then my left leg cramped, the calf. I had to back off but Joaquin waited. He asked if I wanted to stop, nope, just roll easy for a bit to see if it goes away. I pedaled with one leg for a bit hoping not to lose too much speed ha ha! It worked, I started rolling again and was able to get up front. I'm not sure why, I think Joaquin thought I might not be able to keep the pace so he went around me and took the front again. OK, who am I to argue ha ha!?

Both cramps went away but I could feel slight tugs the last 3 miles or so. But I was good, just a scare here and there. I couldn't figure it out but maybe because during the week I did a longer harder effort on the road ride vs the easy industrial center rides I usually do. Than and I did pump a little iron on Friday afternoon. If I had known, Joaquin would be calling, I would not have worked out. Maybe that would have helped. Now I know!

But I was impressed with Joaquin. Steady, stable and had no problem doing 43. The 60 will be no sweat. He says he wants to get a small group of guys to do his birthday ride, so we'll see how it turns out!





Joaquin got some new to him wheels, Carbon Enve. No wonder he was so strong today ha ha! Just kidding, it's not  about the bike!




This lady was really vascular! :-O


This one wasn't, but nice event tan! :-P


Been working out with weight some lately. Getting old and need to be able to protect myself against the young punks who might think they can take my milk money!


Figure if I can get a good headlock or choke hold on one of those punks.........


My little Old Man Bump


Working the tris too. You know, seems people gauge you by your tris. So if I can show a little in a tank top, maybe they'll go on to the next old guy ha ha!



No comments:

Post a Comment