Saturday, November 21, 2020

45 with Joaquin

45 with Joaquin at 17.7 average speed. Very nice day! My average temp was 72 and the entire time, I never really felt hot at all. Not even sure I broke a sweat. Joaquin looked really strong today. His usual was 20 miles but he wanted to ramp up for his birthday in early November. Well we did and his 60 mile birthday ride was last week so I really thought he was going back to his usual 20 today. But to my surprise, I got a message last night asking if I was going to ride. Apparently, he wants to stick to doing longer rides for a while. He said he was feeling strong and enjoying the longer rides. Good thing is he said he likes riding with me since I am pretty steady. He likes the good pace with out the race surges and sprints. That is my style ha ha!

So we did long turns at the front, maybe 5+ miles each time which worked out pretty well. He did the last section to the coast for a monster pull. Along the way, some dude hopped on the back as we passed him. He sat there for 8,9 miles maybe. Joaquin and I rotated at the front, Joaquin doing the bigger share but this guy just sat there and when Joaquin tried to rotate him in, he refused to move up ha ha! I thought I was the only one who felt this way but Joaquin shook his head at the guy. Ha ha ha! So the guy just sat there and something told me right away he wouldn't contribute. But later at the coast, he did ride by as we unmounted and shouted a thanks for the tow! That was cool!

At the coast, Ramy rode up and mentioned he was having tire problems. Tube tires and he had flatted a couple times already. He wasn't sure what was going on but I told him I had some Scab patches if he wanted a couple. He took them but later on Strava mentioned that he had no further problems but appreciated the patches and hoped he can pass it forward when the op comes. That would be cool! We were about 5 miles heading back when Ramy blew by us. Wow, that dude is fast. Well, at least he ahead of us if he had any tire problems.

Tony also rolled up just before we were about to head back. Oh yeah, saw Bad Bob roll by for a shout. So anyway, Tony headed back with us. I pulled from the coast to the wooden bridge at about 18 warming up the legs. Joaquin says he likes a warmup and so do I! So I took the front not pushing too hard. Then Tony took the front after that. Pretty soon I see we were doing about 24. I looked back at Joaquin because last week when Rheo was going that fast, he said he liked to slow down as it was too fast doing the distance. But today, he took Tony's wheel and cranked it up. So Tony pulled us along the trail at a really good pace for a while. I was OK but when we hit a couple of the little climbs, my legs were arguing ha ha! I was able to recover but going across by Moon Park, I think we were doing 24-25 then hit the little climb and I popped! To heck with that ha ha! I had to do my pace to recover so Tony pulled away. Joaquin looked back and I told him to go ahead but he said nope, he was good at our pace. So we slowed back down to 19,20 maybe as Tony pulled away! But it was good while it lasted.

Oh yeah, there was a point toward the coast where a large group was coming the other way, not bad and well organized at that point. 3 of us heading to the coast but some rider comes around 3 beachcruisers and seems to be coming head on with us. Son of a beotch, you mother ffffff.......OH WAIT, it's one of my friends ha ha ha! Sum a bitch ha ha! OK, no names and I don't think he recognized me ha ha!

 

                                                         Joaquin looking strong today!


The hardware!


Nice day today!


In the medieval days, it was said they measured a man's strength by the size of his banana and Joaquin was packing a big banana today ha ha ha!


Thumbs up on the ride!


Just a looking back selfie!


Joaquin is 2.5 years older than I but looks like he could be my son in the pic ha ha!


Ramy asked to do a selfie with my camera. :-P


Ramy, the fast dude!


Tony hitting about 24 today. Check out those ripped legs!


Joaquin did well but I popped on the little hill. Oh well, next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment