Saturday, November 14, 2020

Joaquin's Birthday Ride 60 Miles

  (Video on Monday)Good 61 miles at 17.4 average speed today. Joaquin has been wanting to do a birthday ride so we ramped up the last few weeks preparing.  He invited 3 more friends but only one showed up ha ha! But it was good. Started out nice but quickly got a stiff headwind heading to Yorba from the train station. I usually do the first 5 or 6 miles as a warm up but today, the headwind was too stiff and having 2 other guys, I was more than happy to share the load ha ha! Eduardo rides with a group that does long 70-80 mile rides so I knew he would be good help. He did a really good pull his first time up. Heck, I didn't argue with the headwind ha ha! 

We headed back to the coast after hitting Weir Cyn and seemed to have a pretty nice tailwind. Hit the coast then headed down toward Seal Beach to get in an extra 15 miles to make the 60 birthday miles. Little headwind on the coast but the biggest problem there was the idiot cyclists. Wow, I can see why cyclists get hit. Running lights, turning in, then working their way through cars at the intersections just so that they can get a jump on you. Wow, the idiots, we ended up passing them anyway ha ha! Just don't understand why these dopes risk their well being just to get a few seconds on other cyclists.

But man, there are way too many stupid cyclists. At one point, near Imperial, we were heading south in our lane when some moron comes off a ramp and doesn't look back, just hops onto the southbound lane from the opposite side of the trail. He races off, we catch him holding our pace. We're shouting on your left as he is hugging the line and one cyclist coming at us. We don't go around cause the dope is hugging the line and despite all the shouts, he doesn't give us any room. Ok idiot, that's cool but once we go by, he wants to be friends and hops on the back. Courtesy for courtesy I say you moron! But he races around a couple minutes later like he's really going somewhere. But we catch him after a 100 yard gap that he opened. Then he hops on the back again. Only this time, he burns out about 2 miles down the road and can't hang on any longer. What a moron ha ha! Then several groups heading at us with half their people in our lane coming head on. Wow, I mean groups of like 20 riders. Then the idiot who thinks because he looks like Lance, just stops his group right in the middle of the lane at the outer edge of Edna Park to take a break. Ok stupid, there is a park right there, like 10 feet away. Wow, too many dangerous riders.

Then there were the Trump fans! Wow! I saw one guy with a doll that said Dead People Vote For Biden. Well gee! If you don't get all those flags out of the bike lane, we'll be dead too! Some people get way to caught up in that crap. So much they forget there are other people in the world trying to get by safely.

We ran into Rheo at the coast, the fast guy. He headed off with us on the return. We already had 48 miles at this point so I know I wasn't going to try to keep up with his 25 mph speeds. But he sticks with us and all is well. He's actually on his road bike today and not his TT aerobike. He ends up in the front after a few miles and we're doing about 21. He moved over after a while then Eduardo went up front and picked it up. Ed, Joaquin and Rheo started pulling away but guess what, Mr. Beanz ain't no fool ha ha! I kept my speed at 20-21 while watching them pull away. Later Ed said they got up to 27 MPH. Told you I ain't no fool. I know when to say I have no need to show off. I kept the pace as the 3 of them started pulling away. That is fine with me as I have a decent average for a 60 miler and at 20, my 17+ average is safe. Joaquin looked back and saw me then fell back. I ended up going around him as he said that they were going too fast and he wanted to survive the ride ha ha! I think Joaquin has learned something with our longer rides together ha ha! I thought maybe he felt bad for me, though I was cool, but I think he felt the hard effort was too much. I rolled around him at my speed and he took my wheel. So that is what made me think he's learned. Then a few comments and I was thinking, oh yeah, he was feeling it too, figured it out and knows better ha ha! o Ed and Rheo rolled away but neither one of us seemed to mind ha ha, sticking to our plan! 

I felt pretty good on the ride. I ate pasta the night before, good breakfast today and even drank 3 Gatorades toward the beginning of the ride. One at breakfast, one on the drive, and one in my first bike bottle ha ha ha! I have been getting little cramps here and there on the rides, probably pushing hard. But hey, the things we do for fun! Seemed to help though. Joaquin had mentioned the last 5 miles were tough for him on the return when we do the 45, so 60 would be worse I'm guessing. This would be from 1st street to the train station if I round it off.  Today I was good, I did feel a little twinge in my hammy but that was about 58 miles into the 60 so that was good. Joaquin did say after the ride that the last few miles, he felt his legs wanting to cramp. Great! I hate being the only one ha ha ha!

But a good ride overall. Joaquin was very steady and you know me, I'm the steady consistent guy ha ha! 

Joaquin did pull over at 60 even to get a pic of his Garmin for the records ha ha!


                                               Some of the pics are from Joaquin's cell phone.












No comments:

Post a Comment