Saturday, November 28, 2020

46 With Jimbo

 Good tough 46 today with Jimbo at 16.5 average speed. I had looked at the forecast the other day and it said 5 mph winds on Saturday. Sure seemed a lot harder than that today ha ha! Joaquin had set up the ride last week, he wanted to do Green River today seeing he hasn't done the length of the trail yet. BUT, ummmm somebody didn't show up ha ha! I sent a couple messages but no answer right away. After the ride, I turned on my phone and there it was. He did ride but only a short ride. I didn't see him out there but I saw his truck at Edna Park.

I had planned on a 3 man ride to Green River which meant sharing the load would make it easier for the 3 of us. But seeing that the wind was blowing when I arrived, and the missing man, I aske Jimbo if he wanted to do the 60 anyway. I think his answer was about the same as my thoughts. We'll start the ride and once we figure out how hard the wind was blowing, we could make adjustments. I knew right away it was a stiff headwind so we figured on the 43 only to Yorba Park. But once we got there, Jimbo was in front and doing fine so I suggested that we do Wier Cyn ha ha! I was feeling strong behind Jimbo in his draft ha ha!

But we did pretty well taking turns at the front. At one point, it seemed we were rolling up on some dude. We were just about to catch him when I think he saw us because he poured it on and pulled away. We kept our same pace then later on, caught him. Again, like most times, riders try to stay away then once they get caught, they want to hop on the back. Jimbo had his turn, I had mine then I peeled off the front and fell back giving the guy a chance to go keep his place in line hoping that he would help as it was a stiff headwind. Nope! I knew it but never hurts to hope ha ha! Cheeseball!

But along the way, we would see a rider here and there go by and Jimbo would point out the riders he sees on my blog ha ha ha! Actually saw quite a few today and the good thing is, I'm sure Jimbo now knows they really exist and not a figment of my imagination ha ha ha! We spoke of a few others that frequent the trail, like Bad Bob. Then a couple minutes later, he rides up. So that was good as Jimbo got to meet one or two regulars and see a few others.

As we were there, Tim rode up as well. He had a bike with a tall stem to accommodate his neck problems. It was funny because I saw him a couple weeks back and he shouted out, "I got this bike to keep up with you!". He did leave the beach with us and was doing well, but 5 miles in, I heard him say goodbye and faded back. So much for that bike ha ha! I really don't know though, I guess he has had problems and to what extent, I don't know. But sad when riders you know face problems that really slow them down.

Bad Bob rode back with us for a while as well. He and I were side by side chatting. I saw Tim behind us and thought it was Jimbo. Then after a good look, I noticed it was Tim. WHAT?! Where is Jimbo? I guess he had to start his Strava on his cell as we left the coast. He had to turn on his phone, unlock it, type in codes, do three somersaults and take 2 steps backward to get  his Strava working. Exaggerating of course, but I did not realize he had hesitated at the start of the return. And Tim pretty much looks like everybody ha ha! So we stutter stepped it for a while so Jimbo could catch back up. Then we pretty much cruised the first 5 miles back. Then as the other 2 turned off, we picked it up some. 

At one point, I was doing 17 or so, still windy and not the tailwind I was hoping for but I was working pretty good. Then Jimbo went around me and said, "let me help for a while!". Yeah, OK! He easily picked it up to 19. What the heck?! I think Jimbo was sandbagging or something cause I was working pretty good then he went around like nothing and lifted the pace. Heck, I wasn't complaining though, better for me ha ha!

But anyway, we had a pretty decent ride. I am a little disappointed with the average speed but with stiff headwinds both ways, it makes for a tough workout. And sometimes, you got to go with the workout to build character and not think so much about the average speed. It all comes back around in the end!


Good ride Jimbo!!!


                                                                HDR Jimbo ha ha ha!


Jimbo was at the front heading toward Yorba Park. I was feeling strong in the
draft so I suggested to the concrete overpass, Weir Cyn ha ha!


Nice tailwind for a few miles. Not too hard knowing  the wind
is going to shift somewhere and we'll need the energy.


Jimbo is 69 and looks like he's 29. Need to keep riding my bike!


Bad Bob. Now Jimbo knows he's not just an imaginary myth!


Jimbo at the coast!



Almost over couple more miles!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment