Sunday, November 8, 2020

Solo Windy as You Know What Ride

 40 solo miles at 14.8 average speed. Rough ride but we need to learn to suffer sometimes ha ha! I planned 50 but it started raining some in Yorba so I cut it short at Imperial and headed to the coast. But the wind was freaking stiff! I was doing 12 near Lincoln and thought that was bad. But by Warner, 3 different sections of trail, I was pushing hard to hold  10 MPH ha ha!

My south bridge to bridge segment according to Strava today was 12.1 mph average speed ha ha ha! No stopping and trying hard. I guess that is how tough the wind was today.

I arrived at the train station for the start and kind of surprised at how chilly it was, not sure why ha ha! But luckily I had my windbreaker behind my seat, for like the last year or so ha ha! I was debating whether or not to wear it. Good thing I did. Heading north around Kramer, I felt a few rain drops. Seemed to be off and on for a bit then as I approached Imperial, it was starting to start, if you know what I mean. I wish I had my leg cover but forgot them at home after thinking about them all morning. I should have! But when the rain started to feel a little heavier, as if to come down, I pulled up on the Imperial ramp for a about 30 seconds then headed back tot he coast hoping to avoid rain. It worked!

But boy it was windy. I was cruising north wondering which direction the wind was blowing. So at Imperial, I had an easy 16.0 average speed and thinking I could hold it to the coast. Boy was I wrong. Around Lincoln Ave, I was pushing pretty good and holding 12 mph. I thought this must be the worst of it but again, I was wrong. I have to say about 3 or 4 times, different sections, south of Edna Park, I was pushing and holding 10 MPH. At times, I could feel the wind blowing from the side making me think there was something wrong with my headset. If this had been an ordinary day, I'd pull over and check my bike. But knowing it was freaking windy, I knew what it was. I wasn't really expecting this not having felt this kind of wind in years, but today, I was feeling it alright. One of those days you almost have to lean to the side on your bike to keep upright.

I did get a late start, after 11 am sometime and the parking lot at Artic was pretty empty vs a normal weekend day. Not many cyclists parked in the area. On the ride, I was actually laughing to myself thinking how funny it was that if mother nature turns on the wind, the cyclist count goes way down ha ha! But that's cool! I think of how rewarding it is to know I'm out there when most of the others are at home under the covers. This is how we build character, right?!

I gave Gina the option to go, knowing the whether was not at it's best. She chose to stay home under the covers. I guess today I can not blame her but I was up for the challenge. Honestly, I love these windy days. It's a rewarding feeling knowing that I got out there and DID IT! Though I had originally thought of a 50 miler, my plans changed on the bike. Had it not started to rain lightly, I think I would have done more, maybe 46 but maybe 50 had the wind lighten up as well. It didn't so I was happy with the 40. Though as mentioned, it is rewarding to know that I did it on my own without any help. No matter the speed on a windy day like this, it's about getting it done! Solo is even mo' better!


                                          Want an empty bike trail? Turn on the wind ha ha ha!


Nobody on the road
Nobody on the beach
I feel it in the air
The summer's out of reach

It was like a line out of Boys of Summer, the song ha ha!


Lots of dark clouds


Why not cruise down to the water for a pic?


It was chilly and windy. A couple of times I found myself in the drops trying to make it through the wind. As I wanted to sit up on the hoods, it was too risky to let go so I had to remain in the hoods till I got a break from the wind when it was sage enough to make the change. I don't think I've had this feeling in over 10 years. Crazy side winds! Wasn't till this point I even felt comfortable enough to pull out the camera from my jersey pocket. But I had to get at least one pic ha ha!


This bird was just setting there in the air, sailing in one spot with the wind blowing so hard.


Wow, the wind blowing the sand. On the road, my legs got blasted by the sand a few times. Also, a small stick to the face on 3 separate occasions. That hurt ha ha! Wish I had my mask on but I wouldn't be breathing well enough with a mask trying to make it through this wind.


On Saturday. It rained hard in the morning so no ride. Later in the day it cleared up so we went for a drive looking for a photo op. This was San Dimas Cyn down by the stream. There were fire hoses around but no crew. Wondered what was going on, thought maybe an area was just taped off but they were hoses. Oh well, I went down and snapped a couple of pics just to play with.


I had climbed down the bank but Gina stood above by the road. Then she saw a firetruck pull up and say something to a couple of gals down the way.  Then Gina shouted down to me that there had been a fire. I had no idea. Then I looked up and saw the mountain above me had burned and there was still a small smoldering spot right above me. I snapped a couple of pics then heard rocks tumbling and some crackling sounds. OK, I got a couple pics, better get out of here ha ha! But, a few different pics are always nice to play with.


We did leave the area and headed up GMR to see if there was anything to shoot. But we got up about 5 miles then it started pouring again. Dang it, had to drive down slowly with the wipers on. Well that ruined everything! Would have been nice to get in some GMR shots even if it was a little wet. But I don't do pouring rain and I don't want to get stuck up there either ha ha!



No comments:

Post a Comment