Sunday, November 15, 2020

Nice 31 with Gina

 31 miles at 16.2 average speed. Nice ride today, started easy and not all that bad to the coast. Had a 16 average at that time, half way point. Usually one can raise the average about 1 MPH heading back with somewhat, maybe even a tailwind. Today felt about the same as heading to the coast then the last 4 or 5 miles, the headwind started up harder. What the heck ha ha!? So we got the average up to 16.4 but after the wind started, it fell to 16.2 Oh well! Gina hasn't done too many miles and I was tired from yesterday so I didn't want to work too hard. It was good enough for me and Gina got in some decent mileage. For so long she has been doing 26 miles so increasing it lately to 31 is good. Hopefully soon I get her back to the 43 like so many years before, 23 actually!

But a good ride. Plenty of riders heading back as we were heading to the coast. A few more cyclists at the beach stop but not too many. Way more people at the beach vs last week when it was super windy. Did see Bad Bob shout out as we were approaching the coast. Hey Bob! :-)

On the way back, I rode past the train station to the horseshoe turn at the Honda Center just to make sure Strava gives me the 31 and doesn't cheat me like it usually does ha ha. Heck, been a habit now that if I want 31 mile ride, I ride another .1 or .2 beyond my target to make sure I get it. 

It was there that I ran into Rick B. This dude was doing double centuries when I first posted on cycling forums back in 2002. We did some GMR rides together and all 4 times I did Ride Around the Bear, he was there ha ha! I think he has done that ride like 12 times. But the Triple Crown, he has done many many years. The jersey he was wearing today says 25 doubles. But I know he has far more than that, I am sure! Not only a distance rider, but plenty of rough tough mileage!

Funny that yesterday, I was talking with a friend after the ride. He said, since he is 61 and I am 57, that if we can still ride a bike at 70, that would be a great thing. So today, I asked Rick his age and his response was 70! :-O

Wow man, not only is he 70 and still getting on the bike, but doing long miles and still hitting the hills and mountains. Today when I ran into him, he already had 48 miles and 4k feet of climbing in the Whittier Hills. Wow, way to go Rick! I hope I can still clean a bike at 70 ha ha!


                                                              Getting ready to roll!


Nice rolling, feeling relaxed!


Break time at the coast


I'm not going to lie. I miss seeing her big ass out there on the bike ha ha!


Rick the Triple Crown Dude!



Check out the jersey! He probably has 20 of them!



No comments:

Post a Comment