Saturday, August 14, 2021

Solo Ride Along the Foothills

 Solo 29 miles today, almost 1800 ft of gain. High of 105 and average of 97 degrees. Little warm around here in the foothills but got to save gas ha ha ha! Exploring new roads. Did similar to what we did on Thursday night but added a road, Sycamore Cyn Rd just above San Dimas Park. Sandra saw it as we rode the little park she knows at Horsethief Cyn where we get water. The road goes up from there and she had mentioned she wanted to try it to see what was up there. I looked it up on Google maps and it's steep. I didn't want to try it but figured I would ha ha ha! Yeah, it's steep, only about a mile long but average grade of 8.5 and pitches at 14, 15 percent from what I saw on my Garmin.

Oh the things we do for fun. I did Wheeler first, the loop, some climbing then did that road. When I was done, I was feeling it. I started wondering  how far I could go with the heat and feeling tired already after 10 miles.

But once I got back onto Baseline, felt like I was flying. That's good, I'm OK! So I went up to Glendora HS then turned on Foothill west to Lorraine. Another gentle climb and I felt good. Then down Amelia across 5th street and down to Bonita. Then the usual route home. 

I did take Bonita all the way past Indian Hill this time just to go up through the college to check out the cool houses. Nice ride overall, a bit hot but hey, I don't mind getting acclimated to the heat once again!


Figures when I hit those steep 14 % grades, the temps rise. I made it all the way up like wanted so the pics are taken on the way down. 


Cool looking little motorway. Not sure if cyclists are allowed.


About 7 miles to go but I need a break.


Little 1 gallon'ish jug laying in the middle of Wheeler and Bonita. Sometimes you just got to pick up stuff so nobody gets hurt. Middle of Wheel and traffic going over and around but all I need is someone to clip it shooting into my face. Better safe than sorry for all!


In it's place along with some broken handle pieces. In an overstuff trash can!


Cool socks from Wally World. I pad like $3 for a pack of 3 pair. Had 4 packs so I took them all. Pretty nice. Figured I'd give them a try seeing the cycling socks online are like $15 and up. That's crazy man! Pff, they are super thin but these have a little more cushion and I find them more comfy.


Well constructed and they have the R & L stitching. Even the overprice cycling socks don't have that.  Oh yeah, and the bright yellow/green (?) matches my jerseys ha ha ha!


The map, the graph!





No comments:

Post a Comment