Sunday, August 22, 2021

Nice SART Ride w/Gina

 Nice 31 miler at 16.2 average speed with Gina. The foothills are taking their toll on my legs. A little harder to push up the hills so today was a nice smooth fairly easy ride to recover. Little bit of wind but not too bad so it was nice. Gina said she wasn't feeling up to a long ride today so she chose the short version. OK with me, felt nice.

The weather was nice, not hot and overcast most of the day. I don't think the sun shined till we ended the ride back at the truck. But wow, where are all the people? We see a couple of riders here and there but not many. I know many start early but when we're at the beach stop, it's empty! None of our known friends around either.

But we did run into Fazi and Dariush at the start of the ride, at the train station. Dariush got a new ride. He got a pretty nice Roubaix with a head tube suspension. He loves it he says. I had told him on one of our rides that he ought to try a roadie vs the hybrid he was riding. I mean he was strong on the hybrid and I almost hated to tell him but hey, got to be fair, right?! So I guess now he's hammering away on the roadies saying it makes a big difference. The gears are much better suited to his taste as well. He had one front chainring on his hybrid but he says he's loving this set up. Going to be an experience trying to ride with him next time. Heck, he may bee too strong on a roadie ha ha ha!

But a nice ride, not many around but we got our exercise. Gina did really well making it look easy but that's a good thing. Showing some progress doing a long ride last week and a shorter one this week but faster than the time before. Hopefully her fitness is coming back!


I do have to say there are some a holes on the trail. The dude in blue, in the background of Dariush and Fazi in the tunnel. Gina and I were heading back just rolling. Hardly anybody around so I sat up and took a couple of pics while rolling across the flat section after the downhill heading toward the tunnel.  I finished taking the pics and put my camera away. So I was in the center of the lane so that Gina could sit to the right on my wheel. I was not moving, swerving, holding a straight line being done with my camera.

So after a minute or so, some idiot comes and just about buzzes me on my left. REALLY?!?! There is like 15 feet to my right and 15 feet to my left, for those who know what I'm talking about, really wide on that stretch. But this moron decides to just about buzz me. OK, so that puts him pretty close to Gina as well. What kind of fucking idiot takes a chance hurting a lady. Me, I can see but I can call him a fucking idiot if that's what he wants but why get so close to a female when there is a ton of space around?

So he pretty much buzzed me no warming. As he rolls by, I shout, "thanks for the warming!". As his buddies rolled by, I told them that if they were going to be that close, at least give a warning. They went very wide though as I said that ha ha ha! At least two of the guys had some brains.

Another guy heading to the coast was actually entertaining today. Gina and I stopped at Edna Park heading to the coast. As we were leaving the park, getting on the wooden bridge, some guy comes up from behind and shadows us for about a mile. I figure maybe we're the same speed so that's why he's back and has been back there for a bit. I was actually expecting him to pass us.

But then a mile later, he ZOOOOOMS around. OK, cool! There is always somebody faster and I have no problem getting passed by faster guys. I think he may have underestimated having Gina with me. Maybe it was my Fat Bastard jersey? But he zooms around and gets almost one stretch ahead of us. More power to him I say as he is about 150 yards ahead.

BUT!!! About 6 miles down the road, we're pulling up on the guy. He looks back and zooms off again, now about 50 yards ahead. I'm just cruising and see that he starts struggling all the little ramps of the underpasses. I swear we closed a 50 yard gap in about 30 seconds as he struggled up. I just rolled up and wondered why the dude was struggling so much. He recovered a bit then pulled away again.

OK, now this is fun! I'm not trying and he's struggling now after zooming around ha ha ha! Every underpass we hit, he fades like a MOFO ha ha ha! SO finally, he can no longer lift the pace on the flats as he was earlier. So now the dude is fading big time on the flat sections. Soon we catch him and just roll by like he's standing still. I don't usually care much where guys are but after his little game of cat and mouse, he lost so I look back to see where he is. He was about 40 yards back and held there for a while. At one point, seems he tried to catch back up and closed the gap to about 10 yards. I lifted the pace this time just to play the game and he fell back quickly. I think he blew his wad trying to catch back up. So the last section to the coast, we just left him behind, pretty far behind. That was funny! I get a kick out of those guys that ZOOOOOM around and can't hold it. I was hoping he was on Strava but so far, haven't seen him on the fly bys. :-P


A little update ha ha ha! back in August of 2016, some dude named Steve called me a douchebag under his breath a couple of times at the beach stop. I wasn't sure so I never said anything. Till one day he was riding the opposite way and he called me that name again. I chased him down and had a little face to face chat with him. He denied everything but I threatened him and said if I ever saw him at the beach stop again, I was going to rip him a new one and embarrass him in front of all my friends.

Believe it or not, I haven't seen the guy out there in 5 years now. Ha ha ha ha! I was just messing with his head but he took it seriously I guess ha ha ha! So today, I saw him out there heading the opposite way. I shouted really loud, STEEEEVE!!!". He looked at me kind of shocked. It was a quick pass so I didn't really get to see his reaction but he didn't call me a d-bag this time ha ha ha. He's probably freaking out knowing I still ride out there. Ha ha ha ha! Funny when you can talk trash to someone and they freak out about it ha ha ha! I do a lot of things out of entertainment but people take me seriously ha ha ha!


                                                              Dariush and his new roadie!


Don't hold me to this but I think Fazi used to edge out Dariush on rides. But now that D has a new roadie, Fazi is going to have his hands full ha ha ha!


Starting out easy to get the kinks out of these old legs!


Gina did really well today and she looked really pretty today. Maybe it was the bike ha ha ha!


A sneaky shot capturing her nipple ha ha ha!


Jose R. and his gang


Either those are really big sharks or sailboats. Had to zoom in with the camera.


This is what I get when I ask her to strike a pose.


Where is everybody?


Almost done thumbs up! Feeling good!


New roadie Dariush too fast for the camera


After the ride, some lady asked to take a pic with me. OK, not really!



No comments:

Post a Comment