Saturday, August 21, 2021

Solo BWCSMB Ride

 Nice 32 mile ride with 1800+ ft of gain. Riding from Euro Cafe on Baseline and Mills across to about Azusa then back.

Baseline, up Wheeler, across Baseline and old Foothill to Citrus, up to Sierra Madre, back across Bonita. Nice ride but darn if Sierra Madre isn't like a freeway now. Well, the part near the roundabout just below the Big A on the mountain. I had about 7 cars coming up from behind me just passed the roundabout. The road widened so I moved to the right to let them all go by. I'm patient enough to back off the pedals keeping myself alive not worrying about losing a tenth on my average. I'd make that up in a bit anyway!

So I let them go but the road really gets narrow east of the RA. So it's clear and about 100-200 yards long, not sure off hand. But I get going and try to crank through the section before any cars pull up from behind. I was doing pretty good till the last 30 yards or so. Cars caught me and I was taking the lane but you know that scary feeling hoping the driver sees you. He should with my rear Cygolite blasting full power for the day ride. I really like this light, I go blind turning it on and the beat can be increased to very rapid. No way one can not see this light in the daytime. That is exactly the name of this beam setting, daytime. 

So last few yards and I move over slightly when it was possible to let the driver pass. But he slowed and I could tell he was blocking me from the other traffic. Cool, always appreciate this. So I get to the end and he slows to turn so I give the "I appreciate it much" wave!

Guess I am lucky because I encounter so many caring good drivers that help me out or show the patience needed to keep me alive. Heck, on Old Foothill, there was another narrow section and I was like damn it! But the driver behind me, also stayed behind me from a distance and let me go. I went full out at about 23 or so hoping not to hold him up too much seeing traffic was doing like 50. But he stayed behind me for about 1/8 of a mile. Long enough to keep me alive. Then when traffic cleared, he went around in the left lane. Some really cool drivers out there! ;-)

So anyway, a bit cool at the start, about 10:30. I was almost wishing I had my windbreaker. But things warmed up nicely when I hit the climbs ha ha ha! As usual!

Hoping to get to GMR real soon, maybe next week now that I have a few foothills in my legs.


                                                                          The profile


There's my house on the right just ahead of the car. OK, not really!


Nice park just below Sierra Madre. Water fountain and a nice restroom. What else could
an old guy wish for ha ha ha ?


Nice look downward!



Almost done, eastbound on Bonita



No comments:

Post a Comment