Sunday, February 14, 2021

31 with Gina, Ran into Fazi and Dariush

 Set out for an easy recovery ride with Gina today. 31 miles at 16.7 average speed. Ran into Fazi and Dariush at the coast so we rode back with them. I was ready for a nice smooth easy ride. A little headwind as usual but not too bad, felt like I was rolling pretty good. Gina was comfortable and doing well. Got to the coast and there were plenty of people but not many riders.

Then Fazi and Dariush rode up, both really good guys. We chatted a bit about bikes after introducing Gina. Hung out for a bit but I think we were ready to head back so off we all went together. We usually work into a pace but I know Fazi lifts the pace pretty good right off the line. I asked Gina if she was up to giving it a try and told her they set off fast but later will tame down a bit. She she she would try.

Right away we were doing a pretty good pace averaging about 18 MPH. Gina is not used to starting off that fast and I prefer not to ha ha ha! But we started out a little faster than usual leaving the coast. Fazi can be a little fast and slow at times so I sat back and watched the accelerations (first time I spelled that correctly ha ha ha!) as we headed out. After the first half mile, I saw his style and dropped back just a bit to keep it smooth for Gina. I would let them pull ahead about 15 yards. This would allow them to accelerate and slow as they wished but at the same time, I was able to keep pace for Gina avoiding the accelerations. We would get back on the back but every now and then, they would accelerate like I know Gina couldn't. Many times after going around a beach cruiser or other obstacle, they would accelerate as soon as they passed but leaving us to make our way around as they were pulling away. So I would just ease up a bit giving Gina a chance to get on safely, then increase our speed steadily back up the back of the Fazi/Dariush Train ha ha ha! Fazi is pretty strong and I've seen his style so I was ready for it and figured out a plan quickly how to keep Gina there as well. 

So Gina did well to keep up and then Dariush took the front. I want to say he is a bit  more stead than Fazi so I figured at this point Gina would be OK. But as we hit the later miles, Gina was starting to fade on the little uppity do's of the underpasses. I know Fazi is pretty strong but I was somewhat planning on Dariush fading just a bit so that Gina could recover some. But he didn't ha ha ha! Guys are getting stronger so Gina struggled on a a few of the final underpasses. But being the wise guy I am, again, I initiated my plan once again and Gina was able to recover on the flat sections after struggling on the little ramps up.

Of course I was happy that she put in that kind of effort not having nearly the same saddle time we have put in. The guys have been riding a lot and it shows so Gina did well to keep up. On the return 7.3 mile segment bridge to bridge heading north, she held a 19.5 MPH average speed, that was good. But on the (10 miles north TT segment exact name ?) she held an 18.8 average speed so hey, that's great! I can't ask for more.

As we hit the Edna Park bridge, I told the guys we were backing off as I knew Gina was putting in a hard effort and I didn't want to kill her ha ha ha ha!  But they said they were good and wanted to ride together so I took the front figuring I would set a pace that would be a little more comfy for Gina. 

I was actually surprised thinking she might have to slow down to 16 or so. But we did Edna to Orangewood at a 17.9 average speed and Gina was actually pretty comfortable. Not bad for riding 2 or 3 times per month. I couldn't ask for a better effort so I'm happy! :-)

So we split right before the train station after Gina said that was it. So we said our goodbyes as the 2 guys rode off together. I believe their average speed over 53 miles was 17.4 MPH. So that's pretty good!

I've ridden with them on my own before and we work well together. So now, they guys want to do the San Gabriel Trail with me for 72 miles. That should be interesting ha ha ha!

                                                           Pre ride ritual pic ha ha ha!


I thought she had pony tails out the corner of my eye because of the trim on her jacket ha ha ha!
But I'm guessing you don't really care! :-P


Proud to be a Chicano pic. I'm a Mexican (MA) but not a stupid fucking Mexican. Too many of those in this country.


Heading to the coast with a smile.


Cool ships and sailboats


Heading back with the guys. I wonder if Gina was regretting the jacket at this point?


Dariush doing a good pace at the front


The guys and Gina right on Fazi's wheel, hard to see her ha ha ha!


Hey, I had to do a good effort to get in front for a pic. :-P


Time to say goodbye and some photobomber dude. This was about where Gina said enough ha ha ha!



No comments:

Post a Comment