Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Tuesday Night Golden Hills Ouch Ride

 Got in 21 miles Tuesday night. Solo evening ride, felt good to get out. I started in Claremont, at Mills across Baseline to San Dimas park, up to SD canyon then up Golden Hills. Long ago it was a small winding road up and I thought that was a challenge way back then, maybe 1995. Ugly but cool little road. Now it is a straight up road to the nice hoods at the top, Wheeler Ave area. 

Last week I saw it on my ride heading up to the top of the cyn. Didn't like the idea of going up alone right before dark, anything could happen. I saw this road as I rolled by and thought it would be a cool idea to give it a try. Why do I think these things ha ha ha! It is only about a 1/3 of a mile but a 10.7 average grade. With reading of 17,18 and even a 20% along the way. Must have been getting close to the top when I hit the 20% because that was when I started wondering why I should do this road ha ha ha! I did think for a split second about getting off the bike for a second. But I just tried to slow my breathing so I could make it. Must have worked because I made it and still alive.

In reality, I do these things because I know if I can make it up a tough looking road, I can do just about anything on the bike being a big guy. I know sooner or later, the little skinny guys are going to challenge me uphill. They never challenge me on the flats or downhills ha ha ha!

Too bad that clown leader of the Ladies & Gents ride doesn't do anything different on their rides rather than doing the same thing over and over and over, same ride, same distance, same flat easy course so he doesn't get dropped ha ha ha! One of those guys who whines if you suggest a different course that doesn't suit him ha ha ha!

I continued on to Wheeler then down to Baseline, across again to SD park a second time to get water for the remainder of the ride not really knowing where I would go. Wanted at least 20 miles so I headed down SD road and ended up on Bonita. Figuring I'd be close to 20 by the time I got back. I was almost 2 miles short so once up Mill, I continued up to the top by Claremont Hills Wilderness Park. By the time I hit it, I knew the return would put me over 20, mission accomplished!

Really nice evening and ride.


It doesn't look like much in the pictures but if you have seen it or rode it, you know it ain't no joke!


My face after the climb and returning back to the bottom, San Dimas park to get more water.


The other park. I used to lean my bike up against this metal storage box (?) during break. But saw this sucker last week and figured, the fence was good enough ha ha ha!


Lights on!


Lights, little bit of a difference.


Cooling down!



2 comments:

  1. should have continued straight and gone down Esperanza......its a fun downhill. And there is a nice park on the left with water

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anon! I have seen Esperanza and would like to go up, when I can muster up the courage. But I actually avoid downhills as much as possible nowadays. Too old to get hurt if something bad happens not wanting to take chances. Guess I am getting old, does look like a fun fast downhill though. Just keeping safe out there trying to hold it below 40 ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete