Saturday, January 18, 2020

Wowzer Wind!

43.5 miles with Jose today, 16.6 average speed which is real good I am going to say after facing some huge winds today. So the forecast said 5 mph winds but uhh I don't think so! Jose and I headed from Anaheim to Yorba Park in some big winds after Kraemer. While we were warming up, some dude passed us, cycling tats on legs, looked really fit. I don't know how far he was into his ride but he was looking pretty strong when he rolled by. I pulled the first 5 miles to warm up then right as Jose got in front, the wind kicked in!

A mile after that, we caught the dude that had rolled by earlier. Didn't look so strong at that point ha ha! Wind does that to people. But it was blowing so Jose sat on his wheel for a bit then rolled around after he got a little rest. Getting close to Yorba Park is that little bump in the road. Jose slowed way down and I almost had no choice to go around so I did. We had been doing 12.8 or so. I got up front and figured there is only a short distance to the park restroom where we turn around. I pushed really hard and held 14 for a bit. But then I felt my heart swell up to the size of a basketball ha ha! I never felt that before so I backed off. Got to the park and boy was I breathing hard. But the heart felt good at this point, more the lungs. The tat dude waved and thanked us for the pull  then continued on toward Green River (not sure where he was headed or started).

But that was cool because most people are just jerk faces, this guy was cool! So we rolled back to the beach to about Lincoln with a tailwind. When I spoke with Mark at the coast, he said he thought we have hit 30 MPH with the tailwind. I explained, many times I could but I never do. I actually conserve energy when I get the chance. Yes, we could have done 30 but I figured the wind would change somewhere as it usually does.

I remember a guy flying by me around Kraemer heading to the coast couple years back.  Later saw him at the coast. There he was asking me, "DID YOU SEE ME FLY AROUND YOU AT 30 MPH?!".  He was pretty stoked about it so I played along. He ended up leaving a few minutes before me on the return, like 15 minutes. But as I approached Warner, he was standing on the side of the road looking like he was going to cry. I am really really sure that I saw tears in his eyes! I was pushing hard, maybe holding 13 or 14 and I was sure tempted to stop and tell him, "I SEE YOU NOW!!!".  ;-)

 Well anyway, today we got to hang out with a few friends at the coast. Herb and Alyce, Mark and Jouquin. Checked out Herb's new bike.  From across the way, it looked orange. I walked toward it and it was purple, two steps to the right then it was green. Took a pic then it was blue and green, I dunno, but it's a trick paint job!

                                                                     Old Fart jersey



Jose looked pretty strong today


A frisbee tournament at the coast today, teams from all over the US


Herb and the new bike


Friends


For the people of other states, yes, SoCal Winter ha ha!


I was happy as I could raise my average speed up by .1 after Jose turned off, doing the last couple of miles solo with wind.


Yeah, that is me!


No comments:

Post a Comment