Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Sad News About The Legend Greg, Goodbye My Friend!

Totally amazing! Ran into Bad Bob who told me that The Legend Greg lost his long battle with cancer. Trying to recall the facts, I believe Bob said it was about 8 years that he dealt with cancer. Started at his toe, treated, recovered but then it returned. Spread to other parts of his body. I don't remember exactly what parts but at one time I was told all over. I do know he had surgery to remove cancer from his brain at one time, not long ago.

Really surprises me because he was one of the strongest riders I've ever met. I was told they called him The Legend because of his achievements back in racing days. Heard he also grew up around bicycles. Really sad deal.

I do remember when we first met. Our little gang would sit at the beach chit chatting when Greg and Bad Bob would ride by. Greg would shout Mr. Beanz but they always rode off ha ha! I could never figure out who they were till one day he shouted my name as we rode across each other in opposite directions. I turned around to see who it was trying to catch up to the little group he was riding with.

Bad Bob told me that day when he saw me turn around, Greg said he's coming, come on let's go! Bad Bob told him that he had called out to us so many times that they should just stop and meet. We did and as Bad Bob reminded me, that was what, almost 10 years ago?

Wow! Such a strong rider, such a good guy, positive guy, always had a reason why people were the way they were, very accepting person. Bob did say that he was strong up until the end. I know some time back, he had already dealt with cancer for years, but he still smoked us on the trail ha ha!

Anyway, sad to think that cancer has taken such a fine person and friend from us all! Bad Bob got to spend time with him right up until the end. Said he looked good but one day called to take him to lunch when he got the sad news.

Sad but  have to say, it's nice that The Legend got to go out looking strong! No weak little man stuff, a real bad ass on the bike!

Ride on Friend!






2 comments:

  1. Thank you Mr. Beanz for your kind words and sharing your photos. We miss him terribly. Gregg's sister, Ronda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for your loss Ronda and a big loss it is! He was a very kind guy and liked by everyone. I'm sure there have been plenty of times he has showed his kindness to people but one that stands out is a rider we know out there would not even have bike clothes had Greg not given him some goodies that made his cycling life much better. Cycling clothes, shoes, pedals, and other things. He was a nice guy! :-)

      Delete