Sunday, September 3, 2017

GMR - Tour De Wet Butt Crack


26.8 miles with 3,232 ft of gain. Well, kind of an odd feeling. I have a hydration pack that Gina found at Costco like back in 2005. I used it plenty to train for Ride Around the Bear a few times and Breathless Agony. I was riding to Baldy Village often but didn't want to get stuck out there with no water, so I used it. Several forum members really dissed my Sierra whatever it is but I will say, for $14.99 I really got some use out of it! They said it would explode like carbon blah blah blah! You know forum people, if it ain't high end, it ain't good enough for their 10 mile rides ha ha! Somebody said it would burst after a ride or two. I don't think so, many mtb rides, countless rides to the village and 12 years later, barely sprung a leak.

I cleaned it up real good last night as I haven't used it in a while. It was fine but arriving at GMR, it was leaking. I figured with the 73 ounces and 2 large water bottles, I could go as far as I want and not have to worry about water. Of course after 3 weeks off the bike, my body disagreed ha ha! A large bottle is 24 ounces, the pack 72 ounces. I think I took in 24 and the rest ran down my butt crack ha ha! Like I said, odd feeling but I think it helped me stay cool. Though it was a cool 85 degrees today, it felt pretty humid with the cloud cover so a wet butt crack only helped me keep cool ha ha!

Mike did very well and sure he waited on me. He has done GMR a few times now while I was slacking so he looked good. Plus he has dropped about 30 pounds, nice! I have been slacking but as a come back tune up ride, I figured if I could survive GMR after 3 weeks off, I was still doing OK!

Anyway, the plan is to do many more GMR rides now so once I get used to climbing again, I won't even need the hydration pack. Plus it should cool off some time soon!

We did cruise up with a goal to make it as most first rides back are. Along the way, I saw a couple guys go flying by. WHOAH! It was JimmyNH (NH -No Helmet). No, he will not get into a debate about it. He looked like he involved in a serious workout so he shouted, "I'LL TALK TO YOU AT THE VILLAGE!". Yeah, my heart was in it but my body was arguing so we turned back at Peacock Saddle today. Known as Point of No Return to some of you.

BTW, makes you wonder about some of the people on Strava. We heard some guy coming up from behind us. We could hear the wheels spinning fast. He rolled by us on like he was on a motorcycle. HE WAS! He had a motor on his bike. He pulled away like, he was on a motorcycle! :-O

I looked at the flybys and see one guy blowing by several riders like they are standing still on the chart. I know some real fast guys passed us today but the movement on this guy's chart is incredible. Then later he slows down and is riding with another rider. Hmmm! His overall average is high but not extremely high like a motorcycle. Makes you wonder why someone would ride a motorcycle up then post hit time on Strava. Hmmm!










Jimmy No Helmet...guy on the right with,....NO Helmet! :-P




4 comments:

  1. Hey Beanz, it was so nice too see you yesterday! I thought you retired from the big sport, so it was a pleasant surprise to see you up there. And going strong! I'm training for the Devil Dog duathlon and for the Huntsman games, that's why I didn't stop. Wanted to finish the training plan, then catch up on the news with the Big Beanz. And you did look good, I was sure you're going to the village. Bummer about the hydration issues. But you're a wise man - rather go back, instead of pushing forward without water.
    By the way - totally agree with you on that Strava business. :) That's why I use an old Cateye - gives me everything I need and nothing I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha I was actually glad to find an excuse to avoid the village he he he! I could have made it but not wanting to kill myself yet. Nice to see you Jimmy! Retire? No way! Been riding still. Just had a slow couple of years with serious medical issues with Gina's sons. Kidney failures, dialysis and all that stuff. But still doing 3000 or so per year. Hopefully I get up GMR more often now that the trail sucks! I don't blame you for stopping, I could tell you were working hard on a training plan. Hopefully I see you out there again! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about the medical issue of Gina's sons. Hope everything is OK now. I reckon 3000 miles a year is not bad. That's what I ride. Human body is not designed to be hunched on a bicycle for hours on end. ;-) Anyway, glad you're back and riding strong. I'm planning to do GMR again on 9/30. It will be cool to see you and catch up on all the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and cool deal! Hopefully I am up there since I'm hoping to add it into my regular routine! Be safe out there Jimmy!

      Delete