Saturday, November 3, 2018

Broken Saddle Rails, Boo ! :-(

48.2 miles at 18.1 MPH average speed today with Mike and Jose. Doing pretty well when I felt my saddle go "SNAP"! So much for titanium and us big guys he he he! Actually the saddle is a ti rail WTB mountain bike saddle that I found very comfy so I kept it on my 1998 Cannondale, that I was riding today. So the saddle was from 2005 so I guess I got my money out of it, $110 back then. Hate to see it go, very comfy!

We  had just left Edna Park and were getting close to the soccer fields heading south when I felt it snap. Pulled over after telling the guys then suggested they continue without me as I would roll back to the truck which was only about 3 or 4 miles. Jose said it would be OK! Uhh no ha ha! If it completely fails, then I'll have to stand all the way back from the coast or take a Thompson seat post up the whazoo! Mr. Beanz don't play dat! :-P

Then Jose suggested we roll back to Edna Park where he could go to his house and find a saddle I could borrow. Sounds like a plan so I removed the broken saddle as he went for the good one. He comes back and hands me a carbon fiber saddle! WTH! Where's the padding ha ha! He said it was cool and not that bad. Um OK, I'll give it a try. I rode it the final 20 miles or so and now I have a weave pattern permanently imprinted on my butt cheeks ha ha!

Mike did suggest that he and I could swap saddle if I liked. Sounded good as Mike does have some padding on his saddle. But what the heck, why do all the work? I placed it on my bike and we rode off. Actually  was not that bad but I don't think I would want to do any more than 20 miles on it.

It is much lighter than the saddle I had and funny thing, when we hit the road again, I could almost swear the bike felt faster. But I'm betting the placebo effect! Not to mention, the last 1/4 before the finish, we were pushing pretty good when I felt my body lock up for a second or two. Whoah! I told Mike I had to slow for a bit after one of those little itty bitty underpasses, the one just south of the fire station which was our finish. It was like a 5 second total shut down. But after 10 seconds or so, I was able to push on again, actually hauling ass! But I'm guessing if the saddle was that light and fast, I wouldn't have had that shut down ha ha!

It was the 3 of us. One dude went by us as we were leaving Yorba Park. I tell people this happens all the time, they say I am crazy so I took pics. ;-)

This dude goes by but we are holding a pace. He keeps looking back and racing off. That's cool dude, do your thing!  But he starts fading and we catch him despite his efforts to stay ahead and all the neck twisting to see where we are.

So we roll by and he hops on the back of the line. Cool, he seemed like a strong rider so a 4th guy would be nice if he's smart enough to figure out our pace. I'm thinking he is going to take the front as he is rotating through our line. But just as it's about his turn at the front, he races off after having drafted a few miles.

Well damn, another cheeseball! He races off, looks back, all that good stuff then fades about 1/2 mile up the road. Then he really fades and I tell Mike to sit on his wheel for a bit, make him take his freaking turn ha ha! Knowing if we just roll by, he'll hop on the back again, do some work cheeseball!

So we sit on his wheel a bit but then I guess he figures out that despite all his showcasing, he might not be as impressive as he thought.

Well I have had a few posters on the board say I make this stuff up. Uhh no I don't. Some say they ride SART and have never had anybody do these cheeseball antics to them. Well YEAH! They had posted that they ride 112 and 13 MPH on the trail, of course nobody's gonna take your wheel! :-P

An image captured by Ron and Dixie of us leaving the coast. Video still image.



These guys are riding strong lately. I take a couple pics then have to work my butt off to catch back up! But I need my blog pics! :-P


From the back shot!


..how about a set of whitewall tires, are you gonna cruise the miracle mile? Mike's new tires sparked my memory of this song ha ha! Do you know the song?


Cool, second dude from front sitting in line rotating to the front.


WTF!!! He just took off and sprinted away instead of returning the help.


Ha ha, wouldn't be long at all before we catch him and sit on his wheel. From 20 to 13 in 60 seconds ha ha! We just sat on his wheel for a minute or two and chuckled as he faded. But we had to go around cause this was really going to kill our average. :-P





Can't believe I rode this thing for over 20 miles!


Stupid ti rails! :-P


No comments:

Post a Comment