Saturday, November 2, 2019

50 Miler SART with Jose

50 miles, 17.4 average speed. Is it ever not windy ha ha! I had every intention of doing GMR today again but my body last night said I was tired. I don't know why. Strange thing, the last few days with the wind had really dried up my system. Well my nose anyway ha ha! Dry nostrils, and some drips. Make up your mind, snot or not! :-p

So I went to bed early hoping I'd feel rested in the morning. Set my alarm for 6 am. Alarm goes off and my body said F GMR ha ha! Jose had sent a text last night wondering if I was going to GMR or the trail. I told him GMR but my body told me this morning, the trail. So I sent him and early text this morn, about 8 am saying I would do the trail but 50 miles hoping to continue improving my fitness. He said OK. I told him maybe 60 but he said he'd sit and wait for me at Yorba Park ha ha! Oh well, 50 should be good.

Man, it takes me a few miles to warm up now and our usual plan is one mile turns at the front. But I was at the front for the first 5 miles as I use it to warm up. Usually doing about 15 to warm up. Feeling the muscles in my crotch, groin, leg, butt, head, feet, ha ha ha, anyway it takes a bit to warm up this big body.

So after 5 I feel OK so I let Jose take the front. He picks it up some and here we go. Doing OK but breathing hard till I warm up totally, lungs expanding etc. But Jose is not very good at counting a mile so I keep track on my Garmin. I don't want to cheat the guy though it sounded good once we hit the wind ha ha!

So we head to Gypsum Cyn before we turn around and double back to the coast for our 50. Once we hit Weir heading South to Yorba Park, boy it got windy. I was at the front for a bit and struggling. Finally it was Jose's turn and he took off pretty good so I was thinking I am in trouble today ha ha! But luckily he slows down a bit and I see the wind has gotten to him. Thank God ha ha! Not that you like to see guys struggle, just I was happy to see it wasn't only me.

At one point around Lakewood (?), I'm at the front and pushing hard doing about 15 around those little curves and upty dos or whatever they call them. Again I'm thinking this is going to suck for me today. Jose goes to the front at his turn and seems to ride effortlessly. Now I know I am in trouble ha ha!

But on my next turn, I was very happy to find out that the wind though still present, wasn't nearly as bad as it was earlier so 17 was good for this section. We work our way to the coast and Jose is looking pretty good. I'm feeling OK now so I'm not struggling and feeling comfy now. Wow, what a warm up ha ha!

Then we hit the coast and I'm feeling tired but OK. Jose tells me that he's real tired now. Hmm, wouldn't have guess that if he hadn't said anything. I'm feeling kind of beat and glad it is rest time. I don't hesitate to drink down my Gatorade and Clifbar. I'm OK but I know I'm going to need it for the way back.

Just them, Joaquin rolls up to the beach stop. He does a much shorter ride, 20 total and we are already at mile 38 in our ride. He usually does a pretty good pace doing shorter miles so we didn't plan to ride back with him. Kind of hard holding his pace after one is tired. But he asks if he can ride back with us. Dang, I don't really want to stay at the coast. Nice day, nice clouds but a bit cool and the longer we sit here, the chillier it feels. So we say OK, let's do it!

He says he will keep it at 19 so we can keep up knowing we're already tired. Then as we take off, he says, maybe 19, 20, or 21 MPH! :-P

But it seems a little windy on the way back, not a big tailwind like one would expect but that is OK with me as it holds his speed down.

But he's rolling pretty steady and I'm OK. I told Jose to take second wheel but he said no that he was tired and might fall back. Really? Hmm, I would not expect that but hey! I figure the arrow effect would be best and Joaquin is much smaller than I am so I would think Jose would go next. But I think Jose likes my big draft so he wanted the back.

Anyway, Joaquin holds pretty steady but we know he gets excited every now and then and takes off. Holding steady till we hit the short little climb. OK so I weigh exactly 100 pounds more than Joaquin and expecting it, he took off up the hill and I gave it my all to stay on his wheel. I managed to stay on his wheel but once at the top, looked back and Jose was about 30 yards behind. Hmm! maybe he really was tired. So I tell Joaquin that Jose fell back and he was kind enough to slow the pace.

Later we encounter a 3 person group taking the full path. Ringing bell, shouting out, they continue to take both lanes. Well dammit, we're closing fast but just as we approach, we hit an underpass and they are still taking both lanes. Damn!

So we finally get them to move over then as we start to pass, a dude comes in the opposite direction. OK, I believe at this point that we have room to pass but Joaquin panicked, I believe and slams on his brakes. WTF! Luckily I was able to brake and avoid hitting his wheel. I think he should have just went for it as we were safe 2 abreast with the other group of 3. But oh well, shit happens!

At this point, I know Jose fell back because of the hard brake so we waited again. I'm going to say that he fell back one more time. But I asked after the ride why he had fallen behind. Was it getting caught in traffic or did was he really tired. He said the only time he fell back was because of the hard brake. OK, so I'm guessing he was tired because he doesn't seem to remember the other 2 times ha ha!

But that is all good because a couple months back before starting GMR rides, I was struggling and having a hard time keeping up with Jose and his new lighter bike ha ha! I actually was wondering if there was something to the new technology I was missing but hey, after GMR, it reminded me that it is the engine and I need more work. So it was nice today to drop Jose. Not to be macho but because it is a sign that my fitness is coming back somewhat. Now if I can get my lazy ass out of bed next week for another GMR ride ha ha!


                                             Ha, special guest image from Ron and Dixie!





Jose wearing the Fat Bastard jersey I bought for him! I found a good sale on the net and thought it                                                   would be funny, the two of us Fat Bastards! :-P



Funny when you pass a dude doing his thing then as soon as you pass him, he gets faster and tries to keep up! Good sign of fitness coming back, dropping a skinny guy on the little climb coming up at Weir Cyn.


Some tri ride, training ride, I dunno At Yorba Park. Cool but I hate the fact they put the rest station right on the trail. Seems they would encourage riders to be safe and courteous. Oh, and go onto any bike forum and listen to all they cyclists whine about cars blocking bike lanes or parking in a bike lane. Hmmm, any difference here? Yes, plenty of cyclists going by, just happened that I was on the bike and no other cyclists going by right at this moment. I wish there had been!


Ah, after 20 miles or so, feeling much better. Warmed up and I can even smile now! :-P And my Fat Bastard jersey.


Look Ma, no hands! Riding my 1998 Cannondale CAD3. I love this bike!


Nice skies today!


Fat Bastard



Oh my goodness. This young chick standing under the water rinsing off had a body that wouldn't quit! I usually don't thing much of young chicks but this gal was attractive. Kind of like that Phoebe Kates scene ha ha! I sure hope she was 21, but anyway, standing in the water for like 10 minutes just letting it run on her. I wasn't the only one looking! :-P





Joaquin and his fancy bike.



Had to go around for a minute or two to snap a pic!




No comments:

Post a Comment