Saturday, July 13, 2019

Fat Bastard on GMR

So I wore my Fat Bastard jersey again on GMR ha ha! Started much earlier today, 8:15 vs last week's 11:15. Temp was 70 when I started today but the first 4 miles there was no shade. Thought the temp was cool it still felt hot. Logging in my data after the ride, Garmin said average 88 and high of 105. Wow, did get warm but thankfully as Mat says, after 4 miles up to Newman's Point, 80% of it is shaded. That was the benefit I needed vs last week with NO shade. I did make it up to the shack today. The final mile seemed to cool off thankfully. Not cool but not quite as hot ha ha!

On the way up I saw a chick and a dude roll by me like I was standing still. OK so most do right now ha ha seeing I haven't done much climbing, riding, or dieting.  But anyway, these riders go by and the gal says don't pass me or I'll attack you. The dude says he is just trying not to get "chicked". They roll away pretty fast.

After they roll by, I see a couple other guys with the same team jersey. I think she left them in the dust. But then I see her and the dude roll down. I keep going but a little later she rolls by me again! Wow, she is moving pretty fast, this time with 2 dudes. As she rolls by she shouts,"YOU AREN'T A FAT BASTARD!!!" ha ha ha! I told her I must be because I just got "chicked" twice by the same chick! :-P

Feeling much better than last week but yeah it was hot after a couple miles of riding in the sun. Air isn't hot but the sun beating down on a rider is. But I do remember there is shade after the 4 mile mark. How much I don't remember but makes sense as the sun is on that side of the mountain as I can see.

But just as I approach the 4 mile mark, I see GMR and Mat rolling down the mountain. This time they both turn around and stop for a chat. At this point I had been debating on whether or not to take a break. Glad they stopped me because that made up my mind for me and I will say, I needed it ha ha!

We chat then Mat says to take a look back down toward the parking area. He says that is why we get tired. True! It is a long way down but at that moment, I couldn't look. I think I was slumped over my bike gasping for air ha ha!

But hey, I felt better today and I did take another 2 minutes or so at Newman's Point just to relax my legs. But the point is I made it today vs last week when I was feeling pretty beat. Though I was determined not to say uncle today, I was going to make it. Though I don't feel that strong right now, Mat says I bring strong legs to GMR. Again I don't feel strong but something must be. Not setting any records but making it up GMR is a good thing. And the legs can only get stronger for riding the trail and wind. And since Gina has been spending Saturday's with her son at the dialysis center, I figure I can make the best of this op and ride GMR on Saturdays! ;-)

Must have been hot today as well. Did see a few riders but not many. The parking areas were pretty empty so hey, getting on GMR is a darn good thing!

                                                                      GMR and Mat


She is so tiny! She was standing on the bank above me and still she is barely shoulder height. :-P


I made it to the shack so hey, I'm taking my Fat Bastard pic!


I ran out of water, it was hot but once I collected my marbles at the shack, I could smile again!


No comments:

Post a Comment