Saturday, February 29, 2020

GMR for 3,000 Please!

OK, so it was 3,133 ft of gain up to Peacock Saddle today. 26 miles roundtrip and most of the climbing in the first 13 miles. So who is the wiseguy who put uphills on the downhill ha ha!?

I started out aiming to make it to the shack nonstop. Then do a few more to get 3,000. But just before the shack, after the steep little, after the downhill, my left hamstring decided to lock up, CRAMP! CRAP!

I didn't want to stop and tried to nurse it but nope, here it comes. A almost stopped then thought, screw it, let's try this! I disengage my left leg and pedaled up the 7% section with one leg. Wow, didn't know I could do it but I did ha ha! I was determined not to stop and luckily it went mostly away after 7 or so pedal strokes. Then I nursed it barely using my left leg and shouting "RIGHT! RIGHT! RIGHT!".  I usually call out my left leg when I am climbing and feel my left fading. SO I call it out to concentrate on that leg hoping to dig out a little more power keeping up with my right. But today was opposite. It was either that or fall over ha ha! It worked, my leg recovered and actually made it the extra 1/8 (?) mile to the top landing above the shack. Where Monroe Truck Trail comes out.

Well I made my goal. Not sure why I cramped. Maybe  because I rode for the first time during the week? Maybe I'm just getting old ha ha! But I did it!

The weather is strange up there. At one point, maybe 10 miles up, it's 70 degrees and sunny. Then one mile later, it's dark and 61 degrees. Saw a couple of riders pull over and slap on the windbreakers. I know it was only 61 but it felt pretty freaking cold ha ha! Maybe because I kept looking at the snow capped mountain peaks.


But I survived! :-P

                                                 First stop, just above the shack!


Yes smiling because I did not have to stop even with a cramp!




13 miles up overlooking Camp Williams.



Big difference in the temps compared to Summer. I just climbed nearly 3,000 ft and not even a shine on the face. No sweat ha ha!



Fat Bastard ha ha!



First mile up, or so. Nice winding road for the first 8.


I put this one in after reading a thread in the bike forum about some dude wanting to keep his gloves nice and pretty. WTH! Just give me something to cover my palms and I'll ride my bike ha ha! Don't need to be pretty and soft to ride a bike ha ha!


No comments:

Post a Comment