Saturday, February 8, 2020

SART Cranky Old Bastard

46 miles at 18.2 average speed. Jose and I were setting out to ride when Mike rolled up deciding to join us. Mike has been riding with the Canyon Velo club and he's looking pretty strong so that is the reason we had a better average today. Either way, about a month ago, I would not have been able to keep this pace so I think it's getting better again. Last week was the first time I rode both Sat and Sun but this week, rain tomorrow so I had to get in some decent mileage. Did even better, finished at a good rate.

The 3 of us took turns pulling but I'd say Mike did more than the 2 of us. That is OK with me ha ha! Seemed like a slight headwind but not much. Kind of scary thinking it might be windier on the return but it wasn't thankfully.

Once at the coast, Joaquin rolled up. He usually does a 20 miler tops so I knew he'd go fast on the return seeing there were a few of us now. Tony and Thai rolled up but Tony having some issues (gout) says he's slow so they left before us.

As we were rolling away from the coast, Ron (of Ron and Dixie) rolled by on his single heading the opposite direction. We were a short distance from the coast but I know I didn't want to head back. But to my surprise, Ron did a turnaround ha ha! I heard somebody roll up but wasn't sure who it was at first. Didn't want to look back at 21 MPH being on Mike's wheel. Yup, it was Ron.

Once we hit the first wooden bridge, I told Ron to go ahead of me figuring I'd be the one to drop being out of form to long. He did and glad he went ha ha! Freaking Joaquin was rolling pretty good. I was tired but OK at 21 but once we hit the downhill near Moon Park, OMG! OMG! Joaquin went across at 26 once it leveled out. I dropped back for a second but just as I did, he slowed down. He must have felt something too but that was good with me cause I could catch back on. Going up the little hill, I pushed hard and managed to stay on. Usually Joaquin sprints up that hill but he must have been tired at that moment cause I hung on even after having suffered across the flat section. That is ok with me, those guys can suffer all they want ha ha!

Getting close to the soccer fields, I was really tired. I don't remember who or what, of Ron went to the front, my sight was too blurry to see or care ha ha, but the pace lifted again. OK that is it! I'm closing in on 40 miles and I'm tired. I dropped back and had to hold 18 for a bit before I could even start to push again. I told Jose to go with them but he must have thought I was crazy. He was more than happy to hold back with me. He actually got in front of me and I was not able to do 19, 20, then 21. I had to slow and actually hold a steady 18 for a bit while he rolled away unaware.

But Mike had dropped back from the little lead group. He says he didn't realize I was gone, but uhh, he says he was holding 25 MPH?? Yeah, I wasn't there ha ha!

But he took the front and pulled us at a steady 20. I had somewhat recovered so I was good at that speed. 25? Nah! NO bueno!

So Joaquin pulled off at Edna Park as usual, with a wave we rolled by and the 3 of us continued on. Not sure where Ron went, but he must have taken off ahead cause we never saw even a glimpse of him after the park.

Heck man, I suffered but I was good! Seems my speed is coming back up little by little. Just got to start riding more. But that is tough when you are on Mom duty 24/7 but I still have some time to get back with it!


                                        Heading to the coast, ran across Ron heading in the opposite                                                                          direction. Hard to recognize off a tandem ha ha!             




For like the first time ever, an electric bike actually passed us and took the front helping us for about a half mile or so. Usually, the e-bike people just roll by and hope your're dumb enough not to realize they have a motor ha ha!


This dude riding an e-bike trike says he broke his neck some time back. But the way he spotted this chick in the bikini, I think his neck is fine ha ha!


Thai


Tony and his gout foot


The guys



Joaquin, Mike, and Ron. Couple minutes later, we would be doing 26 and I would be dying ha ha!


My Mr. Beans logo


Pre internet, had to go with the Z once I signed onto the net.




My old 1998 Cannondale, still love this bike.



Cranky Old Bastard ha ha !


Hey, that's me on the back. Ron's till image from his recorder I believe.



No comments:

Post a Comment