Saturday, November 11, 2017

SART Saturday with the Gang

43 miles at 19.0 average speed. Invited Jose, Joaquin, and Mike to ride. Jose sat out but Joaquin brought his friends Ed and Danny. I thought it would be a nice easy steady ride but as soon as Joaquin showed up, he said we ought to aim for 19.0. Umm OK! I was thinking a steady ride since I had been on the bike twice during the week thinking my legs might feel some fatigue on a faster ride today. They did ha ha!

I'm used to easing into a ride but today, they just took off from the start. Usually once we get to the turnaround at Yorba Park, I have a 15-16 average if I am doing OK. Today we had a 17.5 or so. Have to say I was feeling my legs at this point starting out faster than usual.

We took turns at the front which was nice so I figured we would do OK. We got to the beach and all was cool, a bit tired but I felt good. Almost seemed kind of 'not so hard' heading to the coast so I figured we would have somewhat of a headwind on the way back. You know how that darn wind plays games with you ha ha!

Doing pretty well but then Joaquin's friend Danny was at the front and pulled a cramp near the soccer fields. He pulls off then Mike is at the front so I ask Mike to slow a bit till his cramp goes away. I mean we were working together well. But then Joaquin says, "let's go!". Um OK, he is your friend ha ha!

So Mike kicks it up right away from 19, Danny's pace at the time, down to 15 to regroup then quickly to 21.5 that somewhat caught me by surprise. I closed the gap with Eduardo and Joaquin on my wheel but as soon as I caught up, my legs said, "NOT!!!!".

At this point I knew Joaquin wanted to keep his average up so I waved him and Eduardo on. Trying not to leave a gap for them to close, I tried hard to push but at the same time, allow them to grab on before I faded ha ha!

That's it, my legs were done! I'm guessing from the midweek rides that I have not adapted too yet. Like burning energy that I would need on the weekend but hey, ,that's how you get back into shape, right!?

So I let the 3 go while trying to hold my own pace. Danny was already far behind so I just went on my own for the last 3 miles or so. Oh my gosh, I was tired but not breathing too badly but the legs just did not want to push. My quads were fatigued and did not want to respond. I dropped from a 19.2 down to an 18.9, DAMMIT!

Trying to recompose but also trying to keep the 3 in sight as they pulled away. Feeling my legs coming back but the guys vanished by the time I hit the bridge at Edna Park. Oh I hate that little step in the road midway through the golf course. Only about 10 feet long but when you are tired, it feels like GMR to the shack ha ha! Somehow I managed to push up and did OK. But the next couple of turns (office building area) I swear are inclines. I watched my speed drop from 19 down to 16. WHT! C'mon Beanz, you're almost there!

I hit the long stretch by the 22 and that helps. I can hold 19 again. But my average is still 18.9. So I try to pick it but my breathing at this point is hard. Manage to do OK over the little bump by the first homeless camp after the 22.

Then I hit the last stretch, the freaking messed up crowded, stanky, druggie infested area. Usually loose dogs with no sense of direction, loose homeless idiots with no sense of direction, worse than the dogs ha ha! Not to mention a boatload of volunteers pulling wagons around.

I have to say the stench motivated me to push a little harder. At this point, my nose was hurting more than my legs ha ha! Poor people in them condos!

I look up and see a crowd right in the center of the trail. Volunteers, few little kids, couple ladies with big breasts. Hoping that if I hit anyone and go down, I'd land on one of them  ha ha! I'm pushing as hard as I can and managing about 21 there. Yes, that will help my average but that crowd ahead!

I swear it was some kind of miracle. A volunteer saw me coming then said something to the others. All of a sudden I see the crowd open up and clear the path like the Red Sea. hard to believe, I pretty much believe in miracles now. But it opened up so I was able to keep my 21 going! Got to the end and YES!!!! 19.0....but I was fried! I took the loop around the industrial center to catch my breath. The 3 guys were at the cars so I asked how long they had been there. Only 2 minutes, cool I am happy with that! :-P

 Did see the Legend along the way riding his bent. Ron on his bent, then the other Ron & Dixie on their tandem. Oh yeah, Alex too!

                                                         At the start, nice straight line



The way back, not so straight! :-p


I swear, every time I pull out my camera for a shot, they lift the pace on me! C'mon guys, give the photographer a break!


Ed on his new bike. Yes, I got dropped today but in all fairness, all 3 of the other guys have new bikes! :-P


All I can think of is "Locos on Bikes". :-P



Our tough guy pose!




No comments:

Post a Comment