Saturday, April 14, 2018

SOLO and Mr. Miyagi Encounter again!

43 solo miles at 16.3 average speed. Haven't been feeling the love lately so I figured I'd go solo today just to make sure I can still do the ride alone ha ha! Did it just about all alone but at one point Mr. Miyagi hopped on my wheel. You remember him? the guy who wanted to beat me up arguing that he was faster after he drafted us for a bit then sprinted around a few times? Well today as I was leaving Yorba Park heading to the coast, Mr. Miyagi rolled by about 2 or 3 seconds before I entered the path.

I had seen him a few times alone but figured I'd let it go. His rides are 20 miles and just below my average speed on a 44 miler so oh well. We know he isn't faster though he argued ha ha!

As I rolled by him the first time, I shouted, "Hey Stuart!". That is his real name I found out! He looked over at me somewhat surprised. Guess he didn't remember challenging me to a cage match! :-P

But sure enough he hopped on my wheel as I rolled by. I figured he was going to play games and I really didn't feel like arguing knowing he was only doing less than half of what I was doing. So I just let him roll by and get far ahead.

Later I rolled up on him again and knew if I passed, he'd hop my wheel and I really wanted to ride alone seeing I don't get much of a chance. But then I figured, you know what? Let's play but this time, I'd move over and let him take the front too before he could sprint around! :-P

He sat on my wheel for a bit, maybe a mile then I moved over and let him take the front. He went to the front and I hopped his wheel. When I got on his wheel, I noticed a big drip of sweat rolling down his back. He held pretty good for a while then started to slow. I saw the sweat on his back was getting heavier and I was feeling pretty good after about a mile of recovery.  So I went back to the front after Lincoln heading South.

I know there is a bit of a downhill there so as I rolled to the front, I held it down a bit so he could latch back on. I had seen him a couple weeks ago and knew he would turn around at the Honda Center. So I held it down a bit so he could latch on but it seems he was having trouble staying on. So I sat up a bit and slowed even more so he could get on. I'm the type if someone helps me, I'll give that person a chance to recover, catch on, and rest a bit before I pick it up. I hate those guys that lift the pace 5 MPH after you've pulled them for miles so I try not to do the things I dislike myself.

He did catch on for a bit but then noticed he was falling back again. I slowed again and I think he caught on but at this point, I just figured I'd head on after giving him a couple of chances. I didn't lift the pace figuring if he recovered, then he could hop on. I just kept the same pace but he fell back. Once I was the horseshoe turn by Honda Center, I saw him on the opposite side of the river arriving then turning around to head back.

So anyway, I left a comment on his Strava telling him thanks for the help. Maybe he won't try to beat me up next time ha ha!

So I did have help for about a mile or so. But headed on and once I got near Edna Park, man it got really windy. Well it felt like it ha ha! I saw a few other riders and though I was working hard to hold 15, I was passing people! :-O So I guess it must have been windy because it seemed everybody was struggling!


                                                                       Stuart up ahead


I did run across Ron and Dixie but didn't get a shot. However I did catch one of Alex on the roll which is rare! :-P 

Messing around with the editing.



Rode my old 1998 Cannondale today!



Few chick-a-dees! :-O









The parking on Rampart seems to be against the law now. But there is parking along the town center street there. Looks like that is not allowed from Midnight to 6 am. Fine withe me, help keep the street free of the homeless and the big thrashed mobile homes they parked there in the past.



And thank goodness the Mad Max like drug resident area is no longer there!




No comments:

Post a Comment