Saturday, April 21, 2018

Some Good Riding Today/ 80 PR's

52 miles at 17.6 average speed on SART today.  80 PR's on Strava ha ha!Mike and I had plans to ride and I was thinking 40 but had this notion Mike might suggest more since he is in good riding form right now. Yeah he did! He initially suggest 60, the whole trail but then said maybe 50. Hey I was willing and ready just to whip my but back into shape but he said only the 50'ish ride. Cool with me too!

We started at Imperial then headed to Gypsum Cyn. Plans to hold a steady pace and if we had a 16.5 average, it was cool as we were just riding for saddle time. But on the way back we were around Lakeview when I saw someone hop on the back. Out of the corner of my eye, I could tell it was Alex. I know his style ha ha! I was on the front at the time when Alex and Mike exchanged a few hellos.

Next thin I know Alex pulls up to the front with a greeting then takes the front lifting the pace.Hmm, we were planning a steady ride but Alex was kicking butt so we just held on ha ha! He was flying into the wind and I kept thinking he would move over and let us help but he didn't. Heck, I've been struggling on the bike it seems lately so I just held on. He was doing 19-21 MPH and I was happy to hold on. The last couple of weeks I really changed my diet again, all healthy stuff and today I could feel it! No way could I keep up the last few weeks but today was cool. I could feel all the benefits of everything today. The draft, the better eating, the loss of 4 pounds and the, uh whatever ha ha!

Anyway Alex was a total animal on the way to the coast, much appreciated.At one point Mike took the front and lifted the pace to about 21 again. At this point I was tired and actually hoping somebody would get tired and slow down ha ha! Nope! We went across the bridge so I got a bit of rest but once we were on the other side, I told Mike I had to slow down for a bit to catch my breath. I knew I would recover and lift the pace again but at this point, my body was on fire.

Really strange though, so many ass hats out there! We could see a couple of guys far ahead, like 1/2 mile ahead. We caught them and they took the back drafting for  about 4 miles. Once we crossed the bridge, I was tired and told Mike I had to slow a bit. He waited for me as Alex said goodbye and sped off!

But the 2 guys that had been sucking wheel sprinted around. No big deal, I was tired. But once I collected my marbles, we picked it back up.I could see them about 50 yards ahead and fading. I knew we would catch back up the way they faded but really wasn't worried about it. Heck,catching somebody from 1/2 mile back shows you were going faster and have a better average speed anyway.

But one guy turns off onto PCH as we are 10 feet behind. The other still ahead but holding a better speed, we stat to pass the guy. I'm in front then as I start passing him, he speeds up and sticks to my side.

OK, myself, if someone passes me from half a mile behind (all we could really see could have been a mile for all we know) I let them pass. I never sprint around and pretend I'm faster, hell they carried my ass there to start with. But as I start to pass this guy, he starts shaking his head at me like I was doing something wrong. What? Sorry dude, you were slow when we picked you up, you're slow now or we wouldn't have caught you again ha ha! Mike was asking what that guy's problem was. I dunno! I was just riding trying to keep my effort up so I could whip my butt back into shape. If you get passed along the way,, don't be a cry baby about it! Especially if you get caught from 1/2 mile back ha ha!

Anyway, Alex continues on his 100 miler and we stop at the coast for a break. Head back and I am tired but feel OK. Not like the last few weeks where it seemed my legs didn't want to do more than 10 revolutions before I had to coast. Gina says maybe I was sick and didn't really feel it other than on the bike. I dunno, I just think I'm getting too freaking fat ha ha! So yeah, eat like crap, feel like crap! Eat good and feel good on the bike. yeah I was tired but who wouldn't be? I was pretty happy just keeping the pace today. That's a good sign the fitness level is coming back and I'm happy cause couple weeks back, I actually thought about selling the bikes ha ha!

On the way back we had a plan to hold a stead pace. We rode side by side for a bit but I felt my legs so again I took advantage and took Mike's wheel. Somewhere around the golf course after Edna Park, some dude pulls up and asks if he can ride with us. Cool! I told him that Mike bought a new bike a couple years back, discovered Wheaties and that today I am just trying to keep up ha ha! He said no problem, it was better for all of us.

After Lincoln man my legs started to burn! I told the guy we were almost done with the 52 and I had to slow down a bit to recover. He said he only had 10 miles so far and didn't have a problem holding back while I recovered. Wow, that is pretty rare. I'm used to guys racing around when you show a sign of weakness. This dude held back till I recovered then took the front to tow us in at a good steady pace. Pretty cool dude!

Lat few weeks were terrible for me but thankfully today, even though I got tire, it was a tired of effort, not a I want to sell my bike tired ha ha! So yeah, I'm going to continue to eat healthy and get my weight back down to where it was. You really are what you eat!


Mike


Alex the Animal



The dude!


No comments:

Post a Comment