Saturday, January 26, 2019

Mark and Mark, The Amazing Guys!

Some photos for now, will have a video at a later time after I create it. :-P

After a mix up with another buddy, I ended up texting Jose to meet me for a ride. I was supposed to do the other section of SART for the first time, the Northern section. But Eyemage thought it was Sunday and I thought Saturday.

But I knew it was pretty windy here, 35 mph wind with gusts up to 60 MPH. I thought about going myself just to do the 40 solo but heck, I have been moving heavy furniture all week, up and down stairs. So I figured I'd ask Jose to ride and good thing I did. It was windy and my legs was a burnin'!

Headed inland to Imperial from Orangewood. Crossed paths with Mark along the way but didn't realize it was him. Later he said he thought I knew as I nodded. But I not or wave at everyone ha ha!

Jose and I got to Imperial then doubled back to the coast. We stopped at Edna Park to refill the water, OK, my legs were burning ha ha! There we ran into Mark again. There was his buddy, another Mark with an amazing medical story. Mark with the tracheotomy tells us the other Mark's story of a quintuple bypass. Back on the bike! Hmm, much more than that, let's say 10 months after his procedure, the dude does a full Iron Man! :-O

Wow, heck and here I am crying about carrying furniture and riding SART ha ha! Both these guys are medical madmen. Can't think of how to word it but figure these guys are against the odds, issues that I have seen bring the most macho of men to sissy status. But these two guys are Bad Ass, excuse my language. Inspiration to us all as I figure if something happens to me, I surely won't give up. Just as these guys did, I will adapt and conquer. Nothing less than amazing and inspiration! Mark and Mark!

But Jose and I worked well to Imperial fighting the wind. One mile turns at the front then rotating. Of course I have to tell Jose when the mile is up cause he has no idea. Not sure why ha ha but if I don't say anything, he'll just keep going. As much as I would like to let him, I know I have to take my turn into the wind.

But once we turned around, we took 2 mile turns at the front. Held the pace down to 21 or so knowing we could do more but hey, we have to fight that wind on the way back so I conserve! Once we ran into Mark and Mark, Jose took the front and kept going, hey it's all good with me.

Had some fun and a visit at the coast but heading back, OH MAN! Pushing with a good effort, 14 MPH was on my screen. I figured it would ease up 2 miles down the road as it usually does. Thank goodness I was right. Then we were up to 16 and 17. Not bad with a pretty good headwind. But once we were passed the soccer fields, I started to feel my legs burning like crazy. OK, I took my turns at a lower pace giving Jose a good rest but once he got up front, he kicked it up and I was doing all I could to hold on. Breathing was OK but the legs just didn't want to hold up against the wind, stupid stairs and furniture.

Jose turned off at Garden Grove Ave so I did the final 2 alone. 16.9  average at this point so I figured I'd try to hold it back to the fire station at Orangewood, my exit. I was doing pretty good above 17 for a bit near the 22. But once I got to the condo area, the wind slapped me in the face and that slight little incline felt like GMR ha ha! Well that sucked so I only managed a 16.8.

I lost to the wind but did I? Heck no! I got out there and did my ride. Far fewer cyclists when the wind kicks up like this so I figure I'm still on top! ;-)

                                                                     The Video! I did catch Jose R in the video too, riding by with his buddies.









No comments:

Post a Comment