Saturday, September 5, 2020

Holy Crap Hot !!!

 43 miles, 15.9 average speed. My toughest hardest ride ever! HOT!!! Never have I had to stop 3 times on the final 10 mile leg. Felt like I was stopped in my tracks but it was Tony too so I know it was not just me. Saw groups of people pulling over to the side in an attempt to cool off and catch a breath. Wasn't happening today.

It was warm when we started about 9:30 but heated up quickly, 100 at Yorba Park when we got there. Still not bad though. Felt some fatigue but doable. Then we got close to Edna Park and having fought the wind, we were both bushed. When we passed ARTIC heading to the coast, I told Tony we had 17 miles and that was enough. He said OK but I was just kidding. What does not kill you, makes you stronger they say. Man, now I kind of wish that I had stopped it there. But we took a good break at Edna Park then continued on. Still a bit headwind and getting hotter, saw 105 on my Garmin. Suffering so I suggested a break at the top of the hill heading south after Moon Park. We remounted after a break then saw Joaquin roll by with some dude on his wheel. Heck, we hopped on and enjoyed the ride. The dude with Joaquin never offered to help, just sucked wheel. We were both bushed as we do double the distance Joaquin does but we both went to the front to help out. The other dude never did!

We stopped at the coast for a while enjoying the cool air of 91 degrees. But man the trip was tough. We had 30 HOT  miles in us already. Joaquin had about 10 so he was still looking fresh. Tony tried to eat a Clif bar but said it was too hot. Got half of it down and had to toss it. Too dry, not enough saliva, just downright tough to eat anything. I had a bottle of Gatorade but didn't have time to eat my Clif bar as the others got ready to leave surprising me and I figured we'd go back with Joaquin and the other Tony who had shown up, 2 Tonies now, Tonys, Tonies, Tony's, Hmmm!"

We started heading back and I took the front just to get a turn in at the front while I could, feeling beat already! I kept it about 19 to the wooden bridge I think. Then I moved over and let Joaquin take the front. I tried to drop to the back but noticed my ride partner, Tony #1 had fallen back. So I waved Tony #2 by but he wouldn't go. Hmmm! He only has like a 5 mile return so I couldn't figure it out but knowing I was going to drop sooner or later anyway, I just went behind Joaquin.

Joaquin held it steady so I was able to hold on for a while. He usually does that then picks it up the last mile or so. That is what I was expecting. But then Tony#2 got in front around Moon Park and picked it up. Got to 25 (?) then I just sat up knowing I better not, and probably couldn't do that pace feeling the way I was at this point. I sat up and soon Tony#1 caught up. I told him no way I could keep their pace right now and he said he couldn't either. Good, we continued on back together.

We had just passed a group of riders couple minutes ago but slowing down, the gal from the group raced around us alone. Hmm, she left her group to pass us I guess. But later she slowed down and we ended up passing her back up just holding survival mode and speed ha ha!

But once we got to the double dips, Tony said he HAD to stop under a tree. I don't think I've ever had to stop on the 10 mile section back to Edna Park but I'm glad he called for a stop. The other group rolled by and I was thinking, we must be getting old ha ha! But we hit the road again and on the next section, the stopped as well. Good, now I know it's not just me, or us! We headed off again then a couple miles down the road, I called for another stop. Wow, I've never HAD to stop on the return. But today was just so hot. Couldn't take in a deep breath or take in oxygen. Short shallow breaths.


Can't even say that I could go fast enough to tire my legs. Couldn't do a hard effort to feel the stress of trying to hold a  good speed. But by the time we got to Edna Park, Tony said he had to stop again, I won't argue. My legs weren't tired, just couldn't breath and the outside of my glutes were getting tired. Strange feeling. So we stopped and Joaquin was there wondering what had happened to us as we showed up quite some time later. He said he got hot the last section and slowed way down but never saw us so he wondered where we were. I never poor water over my head but the others suggest and it was so hot, I did ha ha! It was so hot that the water from the fountain felt freezing cold. We were there some time but knew we had 3 more miles. I was thinking it might cool down a bit but Tony looked at his cell and said, it is only going to get hotter. We were there for a while and Joaquin stuck around for a bit to make sure we were OK I think.

So we headed off and MOTHER OF GOD, it was getting hotter! Got so hot that the top of my thighs started to pull, then later the bottom as well. Man, my legs were fatigued but really strange not even being able to get up to speed to justify the pulling. Tony lagged behind for a bit as we went across the 22 fwy section, the long fast stretch, not fast today! I started thinking, what if Tony passed out, I'd have to ride back and maybe carry him to the shade which was not close enough. So I eased up a bit as much as I wanted it to be over with. That way we would both be closer and could watch each other. Later I told him about my thoughts and he said he was thinking the same thing, and there was no way he could carry me to the shade ha ha!

Then we finally reached ARTIC (train station) and he had the same thought I did. As we rolled up, he said we should go inside to cool off before packing up the bikes. Good move! I rolled up to the doors, dismounted, took about 10 steps inside noticing all the homeless people were camping out at the tables so I just plopped myself down on the floor. After a minute or so, Tony said I bought him an ice cream last time so he would treat me to a smoothie. I usually refuse offers but today, I had no pride with this heat!

That really helped to cool down but even after several minutes in the AC, we were both still sweating like dogs. So having known Tony for 43 years, we had plenty of stories to share and reminisce. We probably stayed there a good hour not wanting to back out into the heat. But we both agreed that it took at least 20 minutes before feeling back into one's senses. Wow, the heat can do some crazy things to your mind and body. Glad we made it OK but I almost do wish I had called it quits the first time we passed the station. But like they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I think we did build some character today.

And though I have done some tough rides in my time. Like Ride around the Bear 4 different times (100 miles with 10,000 ft of gain) and Breathless Agony (114 miles with 12,000 ft of gain), I have never been stopped in my tracks like this ride. Having to stop, not wanting  to stop, but having to stop 3 times in 10 miles??? Ha ha ha WOW!


               Tony at our fist pass of Edna Park. Already hot but not expecting what was to come!


Behind Joaquin so it was a good time to snap some pics.


Joaquin at the front. Come on man, B L M, help a brothuh out! Bike Lives Matter! ;-)


End of the ride, Joaquin making sure we're still breathing.


Chilling out at the train station with a smoothie.


Feeling really really hot after the ride. I did pose a little bit ha ha!


Sweaty legs even after 30 minutes in the AC.


My legs after time in the AC, still sweating and not sure how I got the tat!


Tony and George. I took this pic because this is probably about as close as us  909er Mexican guys will get to a Colnago ha ha! And George has 2 of them!


I got this far in and took a seat, about as far as I could walk at that moment ha ha!


After our 7 mile stretch from ARTIC to Yorba Park. Already hot and seemed everybody was stopping at the water fountain.


Kept coming one right after the other.


Tony #2 at the coast.


George enjoying the heat!



No comments:

Post a Comment