Thursday, March 1, 2018

Cyclists are Fighters I Tell Ya!

Can't believe it, another cyclist ready to go down with Cancer. A real fighter! I will say we did not interact over the last several years but when it comes down to it, I was happy to have known the guy. Not going to say we were besties but the fact this guy fought cancer and kicked its ass most of the time is really impressive and a noble deal.

We first communicated on a cycling forum years ago. He sent a PM stating he had cancer and a hamstring removed. Saying some day he would like to try GMR after viewing my reports, pics and videos. Most guys in this position, heck let me say I know perfectly healthy riders that are too big uh wussies to even try with limited health issues, like hang nails. That's coming from another cycling forum ha ha! You know who you are wimp!

So this dude with no hamstring talks about GMR and actually does it after battling cancer. Wow! Like I said, not besties but when someone has the courage to do this, conquer mountains after dealing with health issues like this, it's nothing but admirable, noble, and downright BADASS!!!

Hard to believe we have lost a few friends now to cancer. Robert (Mad_One on the forums) who rode with us for a couple of years. Still can't believe he is gone at 40 years old. Then Old man Gentleman Boyd. One of the kindest, smoothest, most gentle men I have ever met. Throat cancer. I can say both these guys battled cancer then returned to cycling till they were once again confronted.

Another of our buddies actually facing cancer right now. Had a rough time but like the others, has also fought cancer and not let it keep them down fighting to do what they love, cycle!

But the latest case I mention has seemed to have come to the end of his battle. Giving up treatments after the news of a no win situation. I have to admire this. He is going to give up the ugly chemo so that he can enjoy his remaining time with his family.

Wow, that is tough but I think I would do the same thing. Enjoy it while you can. After having 2 stepsons who are constantly in the hospital fighting for their lives, I think there comes a point where one has to give up the drugs and treatments that keep them unconscious so that one can enjoy what remains of their lives with loved ones.

The good thing is, that the guys I know who go down, at least I can say that I got to ride with them, knew them, and even have cycling things of which to remember them. Pictures, videos, jerseys, maybe even bike parts. But either way, there is something there to always remind us of who and what they are!

FIGHTERS!!!

All I can say is these guys are Bad ASS!!! Take a licking, get back up and keep ticking....the pedals!

My hat goes off to anybody who has taken the beating and gotten back up! I hope I can do the same and will do the same if it happens to me. I have some pretty good examples in my cycling world that will remind me that it can be done. Cancer patients, cancer survivors, heart patients, heart meds, quite a few guys with life threatening situations.

I just think it so sad that this has to happen but in another way, it shows me that it's possible. Coming from a family that tells me I can no do some things, like ride 100 miles at 40, like walk across the mall at 50 because I'm too old, I am proud to say I can and I know others who CAN no matter their situation and it reminds me to pay no mind to those nay say'ers who whine at every little obstacle we encounter.

You can't do it! It can't be done! All I have to say is Bullshit! I know guys who have done it and guys who are doing it! I'm also a cyclist and a fighter! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment