Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Again, 1 Lady & 3 Gents Ride

Another 25 at 15.1 with a small group. I wasn't expecting to ride again but on the FB page, some members were talking about riding on Wed night. I thought for sure it would be cancelled because of the forecast. I rode Tuesday seeing it was the best day and only day with rain. Of course it changes everyday so on Wed, there was talk of the ride being moved up from Thurs to Wed. OK, I'll go again since there were a few riders planning to go. Couldn't be any worse than Tues as it was 5 degrees warmer and I would have my gloves this time. Oh yeah, I did have my gloves on Tues, thought I had packed them but put them in a different compartment in my bag. I reached in and searched with my hand but it felt the same as the inside of the bag so I totally missed them and froze my hands for nuttin'!

So Wed was to be better and should be a bit warmer with a group. But the talkers on FB cheesed out so there were only 4 of us, surprise. Had I known, I probably wouldn't have gone. But oh well, got in a few more miles and with Saturday's 72 miler coming up, I'd finish the month with about 470 miles. Another good month as far as I am concerned.

SO it was just Erik, Craig, Andrea and I heading out. It was actually pretty nice. Andrea is really fast and strong for a newbie.  She climbs up hills really well too. She has been riding the course as much as possible seeing she wanted to give it a go at this Ladies and Gents ride. Usually 25 riders and pretty fast compared to the Monday Night Chill ride on the Pacific Electric Trail. Andrea decided to give it a go and did really well her first time couple weeks back but only doing a large portion of the ride. I think this is the second time she has done the full course, last time with a little head start. This time the 4 of us was a good chance for her to get more familiar and get filled in on riding tips along the way. She did really well and almost ready for clipless pedals, she's going to be a monster on the bike ha ha ha!

We did a nice steady pace at a good rate for this ride and she was good all the way. Put her in the pack and she's going to be even faster not to mention, even with tennis shoes, she'll beat  at least 75% of the group up the hills. 1 to 3 mile climbs at gentle grades but enough to slow down most the group.

But it was more controlled this time I say. Very well behaved riders riding together. I wish it was like this all the time. I think more female riders would be willing to ride along. Not that I want more female riders, but I have seen too many show up and the group is flying across Baseline at 25+. I know the first time I was like, WTF! I thought it was a friendly ride ha ha ha! So it can be intimidating to many new and female riders who want to try riding with a group. Supposed to be friendly but there are some racers involved that make it a bit intimidating for newbs.

So this is the way it should be I think. Like Andrea, we did a good pace but she was able to learn while we went along. Big benefit for newer members vs 25 out the gate!

So the ride was very comfortable for all of us I am sure.  I actually enjoyed rolling along with the group watching out for one another. Nobody was too anxious to drop the others on this ride, made for a nice ride. Plus the temps were about 5 degrees higher than the previous night so I was good! ;-)




Erik's cell pic





No comments:

Post a Comment