Friday, January 8, 2021

Ladies and Gents Ride

 25 miles with the group. I forgot to start my Garmin after a regroup so I lost 3 miles on my ride. But oh well, was a good ride. Couple of new riders who fell behind and lost their way. IMO, we should stop a little longer to wait for everyone but hey, I'm not the ride leader. I think the lost riders are from the high desert so they managed to find their way back via cell phone navigation.

Thought the riders seem to keep getting stronger and stronger. Heck, the girl in the green (first pic) was killing me across one of the roads, flatter section which is kind of unusual for smaller riders. Yeah, I would think she would be faster on the climbs but she was punishing me on the flats ha ha ha! But she was no wimp! Many times if I am in the front and move over for some help, most the riders will look around like, WHAT, ME??. But on this ride, I was pulling the group for some time across Bonita then about a mile before our turn, I pulled off the front just to get some help. I was surprised to see it was her on my wheel, second wheel. I pulled off and she took the lead saying," I'll help seeing you pulled a long way already!". Cool! It was nice to have a rider with some balls help out ha ha ha! So she really helped but it was later, after a 3 mile climb that we hit the flats again. I pulled for about a mile then she took over. Wow, I was giving it my all to stay on her wheel ha ha ha! Finally after a short climb up Mills to baseline, I popped. She dropped me and I fell about 15 yards behind. Then she started pulling away on Baseline. So I slowed and waited for the next 2 or 3 riders. I jumped in behind them and let them pull me for a bit. It seems we caught back up a bit but she was still moving pretty well on her own.

We hit the stoplight right before the fwy overpass, Baseline and 210 fwy. Short steep climb. By that time, most of the group was able to regroup at the light. This is the challenge it seems. I usually just ease into my pace but this time, seemed everybody was in KILL mode so heck, I started the climb and eased into it but wasn't catching up. everybody was going for it this time. SO dang it, I actually stood up to lift the pace which I rarely do. But I pounded the pedals in order to pass the riders seeming that if I didn't I was going to be last up the overpass ha ha! But most of them faded half way up and that is when I gave it my all. So Milton, the little skinny guy and the gal in green went over the top first and I was about 5 seconds behind. Not bad for a guy who has about 100 pounds on these riders.

But again, the gal in green was strong. So rolling into the parking lot, I gave her a few words of praise. Strong gal but I have to say, she is much younger, smaller so she has that going for her. Milton, he's an old guy and doesn't much going for him but he still did a swift pace up the little climb ha ha ha!


                                                              Gal in green Holly and Milton









Photo courtesy of Erik





No comments:

Post a Comment