Sunday, December 23, 2018

GMR, Been 2 Years (Oops! Only been one year)

To the shack with Mike, 16.0 miles. Mike did an 86 miler yesterday and was contemplating taking the day off. But the sound of GMR today sounded good to him as long as I was only doing the shack. I had thought about Peacock Saddle, another  few miles and gain while thinking about where to ride today laying in bed. I could have done it but glad I didn't ha ha! After 2 years! :-P

We did about 2,382 ft of gain. I actually felt good and did OK for not climbing for 2 years.Mike did make it look easy and left me about 50 yards back. But waited at Newman's Point for a few pics. Pretty sure he could have smoked me but we agreed to ride together knowing he did 86 yesterday. I told him to fly away if he liked but I don't think he really wanted to ha ha! I know I did GMR to the village once after a 76 mile tandem ride and I almost died. So I think he was happy that I was keeping his pace down for him.

But it was nice to be up there and reminds me of the fun I am missing. Only thing was the big groups of fast cars and motorcycles. 7, 8 at a time flying by at high speeds. On the way down, we see CHP heading up, about time! :-P

There were a few mountain bikers shuttling up to the ridge 4 miles up. One guy shouted out saying I had his jersey. Yeah, the Fat bastard jersey! :-P Another dude up in a car before Newman's Point, about 5 miles up was sight seeing with his wife in the turn out. He shouted out that he needed this jersey. We laughed then he shouted, "you're doing far better that I could do, you're doing really well!". We had a couple of chuckles that eased the sweat.

Yes sweat! Mike kept saying that the 8 mile climb was harder than a 20 mile ride on the trail and that he was sure we were sweating more. Yes we were! I was dripping sweat from my face at mile 3 ha ha!

Anyway, I need to get up there more, a whole lot more!

                                                    Before the sweating starts! :-P


Mike flexing his muscle at Newman's Point




The Shack



End of the ride, both still smiling!


Yes I rode like a Fat Bastard today. Taking my time doing my pace.


Glad to be at the top.



A little photo edit and faded image on image. A faded image of my Dad's Air Force days right over his shoulder. He passed away in August.


No comments:

Post a Comment