Saturday, August 31, 2019

GMR to Peacock Saddle Once Again

Another 13 miles up to Peacock Saddle. Started early, 6:45 to beat the heat. I did, fairly nice most of the way. Partially getting a little stronger but also the early start helps but I had 2 bottles of water left at the Shack. I kept rolling and went on through to Peacock Saddle nonstop. A great improvement from my first day back on GMR pooping out at mile 5 Newman's Saddle. I think that was after 1 or 2 breaks so it's coming back ha ha!

I thought about going to the high point as I call it. Mat and GMR call it the point of no return. Reason being, when you get there, you are most likely out of water so you have to drop down to the village to get a refill. Or you just head back and most likely out of water ha ha! There is some climbing on the way back as you can see in the pics below so water is good to have on the return.

Once I got to Peacock, I thought about going but I wimped. It was getting warmer and I should have, could have gone but being alone, I figure I'd do it next week. That will give me a bit over 4,000 ft of climbing so today, another 3,000 day was good. I got plenty of time and feeling better, I think it will be nicer next week. Don't ask me why, it just will ha ha!

I'm heading back and getting close to the fork, I see a dude standing in the shade. I'm getting old so my eyes could not adapt but it looked like Mat but I wasn't sure as from a distance, it looked like he was wearing a cycling cap only. As I got closer he shouted BEANZ! Yup, that is Matt and being about 6 years older than me, he may have better eyes ha ha!

We chatted a bit and I like the way Mat thinks. He sees my point of view most time but expresses then in a nicer way ha ha! We chatted about purse snatchers, being a hero and plenty of why we need to keep cycling. BTW, he had a plan to roll down Lil GMR to Eastfork but decided to roll a bit beyond the fork to see if I was anywhere to be found. Wow, good thing I did not go to the high point or I would have missed chatting with Mat. And really, chatting with Mat is a lot easier than those 3 tough miles to the high point ha ha!

On the way down I saw Eduardo sitting at the shack.  I know him as Joaquin's friend from SART. He and his son in law Danny have been doing some hard core rides with a team in the OC. Big improvements in their riding, getting pretty strong.

We all headed down pretty much together and I ended up in front somehow. I got a pic of Danny approaching the shack so I figured I could get one of Eduardo descending. BTW, my crappy camera started acting up after the Mat chat so I used my cell for a few of the pics.

I got back to my truck and Danny was with me so we said bye as he rolled down to Sierra Madre where they park. I sat there for a couple of minutes but never saw Ed. Hmmm! A couple more minutes, nothing! Couple more then I see Danny riding back up. Apparently Eduardo crashed on the way down, about 2 miles up. I racked my bike and thought maybe I would go back up in the truck if they didn't return right away. I could give him a ride back to his vehicle if needed.

But they rolled down. Poor Ed, his arm scraped, torn bibs and a really dirty jersey. I actually hope it isn't torn as Joaquin brought that jersey back from their home country of Guatemala. I see the shorts of the bibs were thrashed and I'm pretty sure those were from G town too.

So anyway, a good ride for me, not so good for Eduardo.


                                              Always good to get in the Mat Chat !!


Eduardo, happy but this was before the crash on the descent.


Hey, why am I always the biggest guy on GMR ha ha! 


Oh yeah, a couple wearing FUBAR jerseys (looked like jelly beans) took the pic for us after Ed asked.  Nice when you meet people who actually know how to take a pic without cutting our heads off ha ha! Thanks for the pic!


Just my bike





Some cool looking roads up there.




Danny approaching the shack.


No comments:

Post a Comment