Saturday, August 10, 2019

GMR to Peacock Saddle

Another ride up GMR to Peacock Saddle. 13 mile climb with just about 2,600 ft gain on the way. I stop right before the big descent as a turn around point. Today I went down a bit then turned around and headed back up to my break time. That way I would be sure to have 3,000 ft when I finish my ride. It worked, ended up with 3,039 ft.

My time to the shack has gotten better every time since I started riding GMR again, 5 weeks ago I think. From the first time I rode it a few weeks back, been improving. Already shaved off 16 minutes over the last 5 rides. Not that I'm kicking butt, but a good sign it's getting better! Today I felt really good but only 11 seconds better than last week. Oh well. I don't know the segments well so I have no idea of the later segments on GRR after I figured I could pick it up a bit thinking I had some energy left. But I had the same average as last week so maybe it is all in my head ha ha!

I started early again today trying to beat the heat. I think about 6:40 but man I was cold ha ha! My truck wet this morn, the grass still wet so I knew it would be cooler. But yeah, it was cold at the start ha ha! Minimum temp today was 59 degrees. Not actually cold but compared to the 100+ degrees I've encountered lately, I was cold today! Big wimp! :-P Average of 72 degrees.

I did stop at the shack on the descent as I saw Mat resting there. He and a friend, I'm terrible with new names so you'll have to excuse me, just call him That Dude ha ha! :-P So I saw Mat and That Dude there so I stopped for a chat. Cool Dude too, friendly and funny.  Had a good talk about SART and the past problems and clean up. I think everybody is happy about that one! Turns out That Dude rides there too! Again, Mat supported my claim that most everyone on GMR is pretty cool and friendly. I really don't miss that obnoxious attitude of the trail. Yeah, I love riding there, but you'll never see me latch on to a passing rider's wheel then sprint around for the victory over the last 100 yards. I still can't figure out those idiots ha ha!

So we had a cool chat about people and bikes. I had ridden by a guy sitting on the rail of the shack as I stopped to chat with Mat. Turns out it was Vertical Bob from the forums. Haven't seen the guy in 10 years at least ha ha! Good to see his still out riding up the mountains. With a name like Vertical Bob, he has to continue ha ha!

Then I saw a couple facebook friends ride up and stop at the shack. Eduardo and Danny. Both guys have been riding for a few years but this year, really stepped it up! Eduardo used to ride with a friend on SART. Used to smoke Eduardo on every ride but after stepping it up this year, the friend said he can't even hang with Eduardo any longer. Ed has been doing plenty of 70 milers and riding with The Montrose gang. I know nothing about that ride but they said it's pretty fast. I guess that's why I don't know anything about it ha ha!

But yeah, do love GMR. Glad I headed back up the mountain. Though getting better every week and shaving off time, there are still plenty of bad ass climbers heading up. Again, most are very friendly. heck, I hear someone coming and being on SART forever, I expect these guys to roll by and snicker. But the exact opposite. I hear another rider coming up getting ready to pace and today, it was, "how you doing brother?" and "you're doing great, we're almost there!".  many with a smile.

OK sadly SART, it's a wheel sucker with no smile, no greet, then a sprint finish with hands raised as they cross the finish line at PCH!

One thing that I am not crazy about, and is not my problem, I'm not the one going to get hurt is: Well, I was keeping the pace down from the shack a bit wondering if Eduardo and Danny would roll up on me seeing they were leaving the shack just about the same time I was. I heard a couple of riders catching up around Newman's point. It was a group of 3 different riders. OK, Ed and Danny nowhere to be seen so I let loose. I didn't push the pedals, just rolled down most of the way. I descend fairly well and many times lose guys in the turns and switchbacks.

But these 3 guys were trying to push the pace on the downhill. Pretty close together, too close I think. But they went by and no Ed in sight so I just rolled and monitored what the guys were doing as far as speed. I expected them to roll away. On the straight (4 mile point), the dude in the back goes down in the Superman tuck( is that what they call it?). He's sitting on his toptube at the back of the 3 riders. Wow, talk about not having control of the bike. I would not give up any control at all descending GMR to sit on the back hoping to keep up in that weird position. Isn't the draft enough?

So I'm watching these 3 and they are rolling away at a very slight rate. I counted point to point and they were 5 seconds ahead of me. Soon we are on the last turn before the bottom and they are about 8 seconds ahead. I'm not pushing, not trying to gain, just maintaining a decent descent.

Hmmm! I myself would not risk my wellness doing the things these guys were doing to gain  3 or 4 seconds. I say 3 or 4 as I let them pass and get ahead so I could be in a safe place. But they didn't roll away much at all. But they sure took some unnecessary risks if you ask me. Not my thing, I want to get home in one piece.


                                                                    Mat and That Dude!




Fat Bastard at Peacock Saddle break area.


No comments:

Post a Comment