Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Long Hot Ride 66.6

Long hot 66.6 miles at 17.8 average speed with Erik and a few good riders. Of course Strava ripped me off .1 on my average speed but I go by Garmin. I invited Mike and Jimbo figuring if things weren't "together", we could organize our own thing. But we didn't need to because today was a good ride with good strong riders. This gal Denise is a monster on the bike! She's been doing solo 70 milers and logged over 1,000 miles in May. After an injury bike crash, some health problems, and trying to quit smoking, she's been riding mega miles and it shows. A few times she'd take the front and kick it up to 23 MPH. That was after we had done about 55 miles so at that point, I was hoping to hang on ha ha! I do say hot as the temp on my Garmin topped out at 100.4 degrees.

Either way, we all pitched in making it pretty well organized as far as good help. Mike was looking strong so at the end, I was dying trying to keep his wheel the last 1/2 mile or so. It was hot, my Garmin topped out at 100.4 degrees. I guess I am not acclimated yet because once we hit Anaheim on the return, all of us felt the heat. I ate something at Seal Beach and plenty of fluids but once back at the Artic station, we all decided to stop and go inside for an AC break. I was so hot that I decided to eat my ClifBar thinking I might need the energy for the final 8 miles or so. I was so hot and tired that I was eating it while crumbs were falling out of my mouth and sticking to my lips but I didn't care ha ha! That's when you know you're tired, you sit at a table with people and don't care what you look like ha ha!

Erik kept saying that he figured I would do extra mileage once we got back to hit 70. Meh! I was so hot at the end that I didn't care. But I had done some extra miles as warm us seeing we didn't start at the park with the group. Mike, Jimbo and I parked down the way worried about the parking situation at the park so we used it as a nice slow little warm up before hitting the park not knowing how the group would start. I was actually shocked that there were only 7 of us total. Kind of nice making it easier to keep together.

At the end, I was toasted. Felt really hot to where it is hard to breath. Some of that may be the mask around my chin acting like and air dam blocking my intake. I even felt like it was choking me a bit. Well not choking but feeling like I had a hand around my throat ready to strangle me ha ha!

It did take me a bit to recover once we were back at the parking lot. I was overheated and had to slouch over my bike for a bit to catch my breath. Though part of it might have been trying to stay on Mike's wheel the last section. I might have overdone myself but that is OK because that is how you get back into shape. So you feel hot, choked, overheated and ready to throw up but it's worth it ha ha!

I still had to dismount my go pros, bag them all up and rack my bike. This is always the worst part when it is hot and you're tired. I start sweating more doing that than riding ha ha!

So I think Jimbo stayed around a little longer than he wanted to making sure I didn't fall down under my truck and go into a seizure ha ha! Sure felt like it so I waited a bit to collect my marbles before packing.  So I think once Jimbo knew I was good, he took off! That's cool! I have friends like Milton that if you have a flat up in the forest, or crash and separate your shoulder, they'll toss you a slime patch and say later dude! Ha ha ha! So it's always good to have another rider verify your sanity before parting ways!


                                                              The video





                                                     An Erik version of an Eric pic






                                                                               Susan




Denise in Pink. She's gotten very strong. I think Erik was crying because we didn't get ice cream in Seal Beach.



Seal Beach, some munchies


Mike, actually bought me a cookie!


Jimbo






No comments:

Post a Comment