Sunday, June 7, 2020

Tandem with Gina

35 miles at 16.0 windy ride. Well it was nice to ride the tandem again after 1 1/2 years. Gina doesn't like to ride the tandem when she hasn't been riding saying she knows it is torture on me having to carry her on the bike. She's right ha ha! if she hasn't been riding, it's murder! Heck, even though she has been riding some lately and doing pretty well, she is still lacking on the uphills. So the shortest little climbs on the trail are rough. I push extra hard to get us up the inclines making my hammies feel like they are going to jump out of the skin ha ha! But all went well, no cramps or anything, just some serious stress on a couple sections. Mainly the little inclines around the 405 (is that right? 405, never can get it right!) On the way to the coast it was windy so the tandem ride being a little tough was expected but Gina did very well.

We ran into Rheo, Rio, Rhio, I've seen his name spelled on his bike and it's not just a plain simple thing and I'm not quite sure which is right. Caught a clip of him on the video for a little chat. Really fast guy! I've had him pass me on the trail and ask if I wanted to draft him, he'd pull me to the beach. Heck no! If I draft that guy for a mile, I'd be toast and probably have to walk my bike back ha ha! I haven't seen too many guys keep up with him. I don't even try, I have to make sure I conserve energy for the return ha ha!

Then some lady Ann, asked if I'd watch her bike while she used the facilities. OK, came out and said thanks as Gina noticed they were both wearing the same model of Terry shorts. Gina just got a new pair of shorts from the REI website. $90 and pretty cool. The chamois seems a little different and lighter than before but only time will tell how it lasts. Been wearing Terry since 2005 and loves them. Well constructed thicker material so no but crack show. High rise so no plumber's crack show either. Nice shorts and always a comfy chamois but like I said, this one seemed a bit lighter so hoping Terry didn't cut corners. Thought last few times she paid about $110 per pair, well worth it for a lady's pair of shorts. But that was at a bike shop that specializes in women's clothes. Which is The Unlikely Cyclist. Oh, btw, the new shorts have a pocket on each side, kind of a mesh pouch thing that Gina really likes. She has this thing about pockets ha ha!

But anyway, in the video, I mention to Ann about The Unlikely Cyclist, the woman's bike shop. The gal that runs it is a woman of size so she has seen the needs of real women with real sizes.  I'm guessing she has the bean pole sizes too, I didn't look or care, but I was impressed with her selection and stock of large sizes in bike shorts. Gina and I would visit 10 bike shops from Rancho, to Monrovia and could not find one pair of Terry shorts. Wait a second, maybe we did find one in a small size now that I think about it. So when I heard about The Unlikely Cyclist, I called to make sure they had Terry in an XL before making the trip from Upland to Costa Mesa. Yes, XL, Gina does have some junk in the trunk but I like it! :-P So we made the trip and sure enough, they had several pair of Terry and even another, I don't remember the brand but they worked for Gina. Kickers, or knee length, not good with style names, all I know is they were a little longer ha ha. Gina walked out with nothing but shorts, stocked up and spent a little over $400. Lasting her quite some time so it was worth it to have good shorts! The lady that runs the shop is named Lisa I believe. She actually did a GMR ride with us back when the forums weren't such a bunch of pricks ha ha! We had some good people back then before the a holes moved in with their holier than thou attitudes ha ha! But anyway, if any of the good size, real size women need bike duds, check it out!

But anyway, I think it was my third time entering the ARTIC facility. Not sure why I keep saying ARCTIC in the video ha ha! But anyway, entering from the South side, puts you right by the restrooms. Plenty of room in there, nothing like I was expecting. I was expecting wall to wall people in business suits. Maybe I've watched too many movies ha ha! But a nice restroom and a water fountain inside. Gina said she thought she saw a yogurt stand. There used to be restaurants in there I heard someone say. But maybe the virus closed them down, guess we'll find out later on.

But anyway, cool parking place. I was a little confused when I first entered the lot as there are little gates there. So I was like,"wait, what? you gotta pay to park here!?". Usually you get let in but to get out, you have to pay. So I was confused with the gates but it's cool. The gates go down but at the exit gate, you pull up to the gate and it opens one vehicle at a time. Cool, I was worried about having to pay $20 for parking. I also heard that on event days (Honda Center) , they post guards at the gates and if you are there to cycle, they will allow you to park. But if there for a sporting event, they will turn you away, that is cool!

OG71 told me about this parking lot so when you hear me say "Original Ganstah", I am referring to OG71 which was actually used as Old Guy71. But hey, growing up in the hood, OG to me means Original Gangstah ha ha!

By the way, I had been using WTB bike saddles on my bikes and did well with them. But I bought a Charge Spoon saddle off of ebay after hearing several people on cycling forums talk about them. Hard to believe a $25 saddle could feel good to me so I bought one as an experiment and slapped it on my Madone. OK then! I likey!

So I ordered another one today (Monday) from ebay. Price went up to $29 but hey, still a good price. Estimated delivery date on Friday the 12th. Super fast delivery on ebay and this bike store called Trailthis........WOW, they have 4 packs of  Paceline Chamois butter for $44, or a 3 pack for $34. Comes out to somewhere around $11 per tube vs the $18 at local shops and most internet stores. This is the best I have found. And fast guaranteed shipping. Again, if they are a day late with an item having the fast free guaranteed shipping date, ebay gives you a $5 voucher for next purchase.

So hey man, I ordered another Charge Spoon saddle for the tandem. Feeling OK on the WTB saddles but now having been on a Spoon, I like it and replacing the tandem saddle. The Spoon just fits me like a glove. Perfect great fit in my case. I did the 62 miler to San Clemente on it and felt really good so I'm getting another, should be here by Friday.

Not saying you should go out and buy one because we are all different but this one has a nice shape that fits me well! Less than $30, Sheesh! I really like Terry saddles but the ti Fly I liked is $175 now. Wow! But this Spoon saddle is one that gave me the same feeling when I sat on the Fly but I can buy 5 or 6 Spoon saddles for that price ha ha!

Video chat, no music.





Like it HDR style. Looks like Gina's wearing a gas mask ha ha!







No comments:

Post a Comment