Saturday, July 25, 2020

60 Miles SGRT

60 miles at 16.7 average speed. Jimbo and I started the ride with the group from the Pico Rivera golf course. Right away the group was flying away. My plan was to let them go and do a nice steady pace to the coast. Nadine rode with us and sure she appreciated the nice pace. The others were out of site rather quickly but I stuck to my plan. I had mentioned the plan to Jimbo and he must have agreed because we stuck together the entire time.

Once we got down to the coast we headed South from Seal to Huntington Beach for lunch. I had a chicken sandwich, Jimbo had a wrap if I remember correctly. We had picked it up with the group across PCH heading South but going North, seemed like a little more wind so the pace was a little lower but still a decent effort. But a major suck! I must have hit a bump or something and my rear blinkie fell off somewhere along the line. Jimbo told me that my light was off but I took it as off as on and off power. But he meant it was off the strap. We got to the steal bridge then I noticed it was off, as in GONE! :-( Oh well, as much as I hate losing something, it gives me a chance to try a more powerful new improved red blinkie. I use Cygolite Hot shot and really like them. I might have had a 50 watt but now I'll try the 100 to see how good it is! Ebay guaranteed delivery here I come ha ha! Ha, just ordered one on ebay. I had a 500 I think and the new one will be a 1500. Wow, more than likely going to blind somebody behind me ha ha!

So we headed back north up the trail. Few riders together, then broke up a bit.  Regrouped at the steal bridge then all headed back together. Pablo, a friend of one of the other riders did a really good pull. Later he pulled off the front and the group split. OK, so who is going next ha ha!? The line just split and so Jimbo and I ended up toward the front. Pablo did a really good pull but next up was Jimbo. I am not sure why, I think it was the same speed but when Jimbo got up front, I thought my legs were going to rip off ha ha! Looked like the same speed, just hurt a little more when Jimbo was at the front ha ha! Jimbo did a good strong pull then I ended up at the front. I was doing a good effort then thinking the other 4 that made the split were still with me. But I looked back to see if I was slowing everybody down and noticed they were several yards behind. I think the dude Pablo started to crack. I waited a few times but he kept falling back and the others were behind him. If someone helps me, I hate to drop them, teamwork, so then Susan went around and took my wheel. She was on her way to a good average speed but like I said, I don't drop someone who helps me. So I let him catch back up then slowed the pace so he could recover. I think he did somewhat but not knowing how they rode down to the coast, maybe he was burned out. But we were close to Jimbo's turn off so we all stopped for the good bye greets. Then I got back on the bike and boy my legs were a burnin'! Susan took off a bit but then as I rolled by, she took my wheel and only about a mile left, I tried to lift the pace but not sure how much it helped. Did have the 16.8 but once we hit that tricky little dangerous turn, the average dropped a point. I tried to make it up on the other side lifting the pace but nah, still stayed at the 16.7, dangit!

We had lifted the pace on the return. Not sure if the others were burned out or what but Jumbo and I got back to his turnoff before the others. Did have Susan with us and Pablo and Jerry a ways back. Jerry had a nice fast average. Not sure what he did as I thought the group ahead of us was together but we couldn't see them so who knows if they were together or not till they finish posting on strava ha ha!

One thing I can not figure out for the life of me. I see riders trying to take the front and they fade. So trying to help, I take the front so they can draft me. They stay back there for a bit then they go around and try to drop me. OK, go ahead but you realize that you just faded and I tried to help you, right?! Never makes sense to me. Someone helps you then you sprint around? Or you're in the pace line then you go around and take off on your own, then you fade and have to wait for the line to catch up again? I guess I just don't understand. Especially a GROUP ride. We're riding as a group, then a rider takes off, only to fade.

I guess I must be the rare guy. Give me a good partner and I don't need a group. Or don't even want a group ha ha! I just don't understand, guess people like to play with yo-yo's ha ha!.

But it was a good ride. I must say though, it's not a bad trail but there were a ton of people it seemed. Plus the trail seems narrow compared to SART. Heck, passing with some of the oncoming cyclist, felt like we were going to bump elbows ha ha!






No comments:

Post a Comment