Thursday, July 30, 2020

Wed Night

Well darn! Another good guy from the forums (Dutchboy2) showed up on the Thurs nit ride Ladies and Gents and I missed it. I was not riding Thurs so my legs would feel better on Saturday since I did Wednesday. So I missed good guy Rick on the ride. Hopefully he shows up again so we can see each other again. I remember running into Rick a few times while riding around the foothills. Really cool guy. Super fast rider! And darn it, I missed it!



22 point something at 15.7 average speed with a small group last night. Pomona to Glendora with a stop for ice cream along the way at Fosselman's Ice Cream shop. Strange that I love ice cream but some reason last night, the chocolate chip was kind of lacking. Heck, Thrifty's back in the day ice cream was much better so I was a bit disappointed. Of course I bought 2 and gave one to Tony as I saw him sitting outside as if he was not going to get ice cream. These guys offer me stuff all the time and though I don't always take it, sometimes it's good just to offer. Of course the bastard took the Burgundary cherry that I was hoping for ha ha! My fault as he asked which one, stupid me ha ha! But it ain't no big thang!

Kind of a nice ride. Got to go fast and the smaller group of 10 was more enjoyable for me. The other thing was that the riders seemed more well behaved and respectful. I say that because as we approached stop signs and signals, everybody kept the order. Heck, when we have bigger groups, some of the riders who insist on leading the group overestimate themselves and end up fading. So they get passed by 10 riders. We approach a signal stop then that rider will go around and insist on getting in the front again, what!? Dangerous because now we are forced to go around again and again as the same rider will actually blow the red light where we wait just to be in front. C'mon! I really can't stand this type. If you fade, stay in the back or your position. If 5 faster riders pass me, I stay where I am at the stops. Too many people lack discipline and need to show off. 

So the group yesterday was cool! Got to go fast but in a safe orderly fashion, the way it should be when you ride out in the street with traffic doing 60 mph. Not to mention just about everybody yesterday was pretty strong. No big stragglers holding up the group so most one had to wait at a regroup was like 2 or 3 minutes.

I do get a kick out of people because I have guys that weigh 100 pounds less than me challenge me up a hill. Been feeling better and better on the bike having done more mileage lately so OK, let's go. One guy, about 150 said, "c'mon, let's see what you got!" up the little climb at the top of Citrus. Of course I had just finished at the front pulling at 25 across Foothill. So somebody drafting, weighing 100 pounds less, you better be fast ha ha! So we stood up and were side by side most of the way but about 20 yards from the top, he said, "OK THAT'S IT!!!" ha ha ha ha! So yeah, when you little guys challenge one of us big Clydesdale types, you better be sure ha ha ha! But it was a fun little game.

Ended up Cienega with 4 PR's on Strava. That is cool as it is just about 3 miles and a gentle climb. So getting stronger all the time. Hopefully I can start eating a little better too, that always helps. Of course I set goals for myself. Like riding notes and pinning them on the board in the kitchen. Mine says, "NO ICE CREAM FOR A MONTH!!!". That ended the 24 so I ate ice cream for a couple of days then tonight, the 30th, I'll write another note and stick with it for another month. Heck, avoiding the junk really helps and I've been feeling pretty good on the bike now!

I think we all finished strong, Me, Tony, Milton, and some young dude Jason. Jason was flying at the end pulling Milton and I. We finish at the Old Stump Brewery near Garey Ave so hanging onto these guys at that pace, once we hit White Ave, I was like, "that's it!" ha ha ha! Had about an 1/8 of a mile and I wanted to finish breathing ha ha ha!

















End of an era! I've had this frame for 6 years and never dumped or dropped it. Tonight, the lady next to me pulls her bike out and hits mine. :-O Well damn, new saddle, 2 go pros, the mounts, the lights, and the bike I was worried something was going to get damaged. Always for a "oh sorry about that!". Luckily, nothing was damaged and what a surprise I can breath again. Poor baby! I guess next time I have to remember that no matter how careful I am with the property of others around me, I have to start thinking about myself. Honestly, this lady was trying to put her bike up safely, so I stood back and let her do so not interfering. I guess it was too much to expect in return. This burns me up really! Like at the malls, you hold a door open for someone to be courteous but they won't hesitate to drop the door in your face. Maybe I just show a little too much respect for other people and their property.



Oops, looks like I'm busted, double fisted ice cream eater ha ha!




No comments:

Post a Comment