Friday, July 3, 2020

Thursday Night Ladies and Gents Ride

A pretty nice ride tonight. 25 miles at 15.6 average speed. I forgot to stop my Garmin at the end of the ride and cruised around the parking lot to chat with people after the ride so it dropped some on Strava.

I went out this evening with a plan to hold back some. Usually have to bust my butt to try to get footage of the faster riders. But tonight though there were a few fast ones, it was not as crazy as usual. Pretty mellow ride. So I had a chance to drop back and get some of the riders I don't usually get to see along the ride. So it was nice, though still fast enough, I held back some anyway. Usually a good idea I think on this ride. Going out is always fast with a 19+ average arriving in Covina. Then the gradual climb back slows it way down ha ha!

So the group seemed mellow but still a good pace like I said. Tony said he thinks it was the fastest one yet he has been on. I'm not sure, I think it was faster last week but it's tough to tell. All I know is I had a good ride today.

I got a message from Genaro after the ride on facebook. He said he saw me hammering trying to get ahead of the group to take video. He said he saw me hammering and thought "Dayummmm!". Well that is cool, I don't usually get comments so I'll take it. But yeah, trying to get ahead of the group on Badillo, and even Baseline, one has to crank it up to 25, 26, or even 27 because almost everyone on the ride can crank the pedals. As I have said before, I have never seen so many strong women in one place. Even the tail end riders are pretty strong, just that the others are stronger.

Matter of fact, I just checked to Strava, got me wondering about my top speed and it turns out that it was 32 MPH. Pretty sure that is where I was trying to get ahead of the group ha ha! There aren't any true downhills like GMR or a mountain road so I guess I had to be pushing hard ha ha!

So anyway, had my buddy Tony on the ride again. I met Tony 43 years ago as freshman in highschool. He was a grade ahead and originally my brother's friend. But he and I started playing cup ball one day and realized we both had a competitive streak in us. So we ended up playing after school almost everyday that I remember ha ha! Later years we hit the clubs together, started cycling, and kept a bit of the competition there over the years. Of course now both old men, it's about fun but still got to get in a good push here and there to test him ha ha!

He rode his old Cannondale, maybe a 1995 that I remember. We both started cycling back in about 1992, so do the math. OK, 28 years. So we've been buds for a long time and still riding together when we get the chance.



But anyway, a good night on the bike with a good crowd. So a little chatting then a music video!


No comments:

Post a Comment