Sunday, July 5, 2020

Fast 18.7 Ride with Da Boyz

 VIDEO ON MONDAY.....57 miles at 18.7 average speed with the guys. All the female riders backed out of the ride today so it was all guys. Some of my gang and some of Erik's gang. Nice ride then a stop for breakfast/lunch at the Park Bench Cafe in HB. Did see Bad Bob while on the return.

Couple of fast guys took off a bit ahead of us on the way to the coast but a regroup by the last wooden bridge. Did a pretty good rotation most of the way. After lunch we all headed back along PCH to the trail. There a few guys decided to take a few pics but we were worried about getting stiff so 4 of us took off.

I was at the front for about 7 or 8 miles just holding the pace steady at a good pace. Finally about the soccer fields, Mike volunteered to take the front. He lifted the pace some and me, always a little hard to recover when someone lifts the pace. But thankfully he didn't too much. Just enough to hurt. I figured the others would catch up if I held a steady pace seeing they had 2 of the fast guys with them and a good tailwind.

Well,. the 2 fast guys caught up but 3 left behind. They sat on the back for a bit then sprinted around. Of course all the guys I was riding with took off as well. So crap, I'm alone but just a few seconds behind as they decide to stop at Edna Park. There, a couple of guys head out before the rest of the group. I had an 18.8 average at that point so wanting to keep it and having to ride all the way back to Yorba Park, as soon as I hit the road, I picked up the pace to normal as the others were chatting. I wanted my average ha ha!

But soon they caught me. Which was good because like I said, I wanted to keep the average somewhat and having help would make it faster.What I didn't realize was that one of the faster guys took off early. He rode from Green River so I guess he was feeling it.

So we have a steady pace and this is good but the second fast guy sprinted around to catch the other fast guy. Hmm! I didn't try to keep up having a plan to keep a steady pace over the entire ride. But of course, everybody tries to keep up with him so they all sprint around. So I'm alone behind but my plan is to see if any of them fade so I can catch up, maybe work together. Nope!

I catch the fast guy, he jumps on my wheel for about 1/4 mile. Great, we can work together but NOPE! He recovers then sprints around. OK! So I see him catch onto another one of our guys just ahead. Well, now I'm probably screwed because the team of 2 will more than likely be pretty hard to catch alone. But I keep on, keepin' on and I just about close in on them. But the other guy sprints off. I guess none want to be caught. Not sure why, pride I guess but it would be better for 2 of us to work together rather than make a race about it. I'm just trying to keep my average.

But we hit that gradual little climb around  Glassell and I roll up on the fast guy. He must have been really  feeling the distance. He is usually fast but he did a long ride yesterday as well so I think he was feeling it. He jumped on my wheel again but I gave a good hard push figuring he didn't want to work together anyway ha ha!

Then I catch the other guy and he's toast. I might be too but I gave it another good push and he didn't respond so I did my best to keep going and increase the gap. Soon he was pretty well behind. These are the 2 guys I could have worked with but they chose not to, so hey!

Then there was Tony ahead of me. Now I had done the good long pull from the coast so if I catch him, maybe he would be willing to work together. But every time I was about to catch him, like 10 yards back, he would kick up the pace almost to a spring then open the gap on me, again! Finally on the last stretch, I went around. He likes to warm down he says but it was hot and I wanted my average so hey, I'm rolling by. He didn't give chase so I kept on alone. So that was not too bad at all. The last 5 or 6 miles was pretty much a solo effort and I only dropped from 18.8 to 18.7. Not bad considering I was thinking I would fade big time seeing it gets hot and it is a slight incline on the graph.

But overall, a good ride. Fast for my usual average but it didn't seem that hard to keep it up. Maybe the Thurs night rides are helping out. Fast out West but slight down hill so I make a workout of it heading back up the gentle climbs. I sure hope it is helping as I have been putting some effort into it and trying to get my mileage back up! Felt good today!



                                                                                 The video





                                         Started out at a good clip right from the gate!


Band aid nose to avoid rug burn. These stupid masks can get irritating!


When the gang sees a crazy driver skid into a parking space at the park.


That's better!


What is Mike laughing at? I didn't think it was a funny ride ha ha! 


No comments:

Post a Comment